Banging water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered before somewhere, but I've got to try and sort out this problem for a punter.
When the loo stops filling, the supply pipe bangs noisily from somewhere in the bowels of the upstairs apartment...presumably due to the pipe being unclipped. Its not possible to lift the floor, so any comments on a Water Shock Arrestor - typically available from Toolstation or similar? Would this help things? Cheers for any tips! John

Sponsored Links
Am hazarding a guess here but is it two flats on a single main? the flat your in feeds the one upstairs?

water arrestors are ok for single appliance situations say a toilet which is banging like buggery when it's almost shut off but the back pressure is causing it to judder. If i was you i would look at fitting a mini potable water expasion vessel some where very close to the main to try and over come to the back pressure your incountering and possible slip a note tho the tenant upstairs door explaining what's happening and see if they'll let you in to try an rectify the fault

Cheers for the reply, Mr.p....sorry I wasn't so clear with my explanation - the apartment has its own water supply and stopcock, and the banging is indeed from beneath its own (tiled on timber) floor. Apart from the noise, there isn't any connection. The shock arrestor that I'm on about looks to be some sort of expansion vessel so I'll guess I'll buy one and give it a try- Its not possible to fit it next to the loo but the supply pipe is accessible from behind the bath panel so I'll see if it will go there....I haven't used one of these before, though. Cheers and have a good evening, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back