Barcelona Noise - This one is different :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Barcelona System boiler that is now 6 years old (I think that is pretty good going actually).

Anyway, I've had most of the problems that others have had, lockouts, melted ignition electrodes etc. etc., but now I'm getting a strange noise from the boiler BEFORE it ignites.

Basically, when you apply power to the boiler, the pump starts and all is fine, but then after about 20 secs there are a couple of clicks and it makes this sort of low modulating, vibrating noise for about 5 seconds, the best I can describe it is a bit like a ship fog horn, then the noise subsides, a few more clicks, the fan starts and then she ignites (I think its a she ;)). The noise can be heard around the house.

Anyone got a clue what this is? I don't think its the fan as I hear this start up and its reasonably quiet and I don't think its the pump as this is running quietly for 20secs before the noise.

The noise doesn't always happen, and it doesn't always do it from power on (eg. via room stat), infact it does it mainly when the boiler stat cuts in and out and the boiler is already warm.

Tim

Sponsored Links
I strongly suspect that the noise you describe is actually the boiler lighting up, but with a damaged burner surface, so it's lighting-back. There's a 'premix' burner on this boiler, so the fan blows gas/air mixture through the burner gauze material so that it SHOULD light on / above the burner surface. If it's damaged, the flame penetrates below the burner (especially with the fan at low speed) and can do a lot of damage to the fan, etc.

Get it fixed by a CORGI and don't use it meantime.

This boiler requires a dynamic inlet pressure of at least 20 mb. , if this is correct , thenI would assume that the gas valve setting requires re-adjustment .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input. I had a look at the burner and their is no damage to the surface, though I did notice their is a white packing that is used at the edges to seal it to the metal casing. The majority of this has fallen out, so I expect that it is possible that this could cause the problem.

Is this a common failure mode on this boiler/burner?

BTW A new burner is going to cost £200 with fitting so I'm deciding if now is the time to scrap the Barcelona and get something more reliable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back