Basement And Single Storey Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the back of house when you leave the house there are steps to get to the garden - Probably a 0.5 metres drop.

I am thinking of doing an extension - I presume the fact that the garden is not level with the houses floor is a good thing because it means a lot less digging??

Is it worth considering doing a basement at the same time (just under the single storey extension)?? If its a matter of digging 2 metres deep and putting down some steel and blocks it should be really straightforward?

Has anyone thought of doing a basement at the same time as a single storey extension??

Sponsored Links
Digging down 2m is not straightforward, neither is building a basement structure.

Basement/cellars were once the norm of building in city's (all of the new town area of Edinburgh, is but just one example I could give)

Re: not having to dig so far due to the .5 m the house is above ground :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: that's a good one...Oh! sorry you mean it :oops: You have to dig down to stable sub-soil regardless of level you want to build to. You simply have to build the substructure deeper to make up the difference.

By incorporating this substructure build into a basement development, taking all the appropriate waterproofing measures etc. is a simple calculation of tonnage to be removed from site, or indeed incorporation if poss, then either building up with block/brick or use an insulated lost shutter shutter and concrete system.

OK, are you ready for this- you could build the basement with a sustainable block, no mortar, no dpc, no brickies, hand saw only - no hassle, and with a we bit more imagination fill said block with sustainable concrete ______interested, let me know if you are, otherwise just go for the information above this blurb...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
you could build the basement with a sustainable block, no mortar, no dpc, no brickies, hand saw only - no hassle, and with a we bit more imagination fill said block with sustainable concrete

I'd be very interested for you to post the details of how to do this under the OPs typical suburban semi as a retrospective installation. It's not Beco blocks is it?

Oh, and what is "sustainable" concrete?

you could build the basement with a sustainable block, no mortar, no dpc, no brickies, hand saw only - no hassle, and with a we bit more imagination fill said block with sustainable concrete

I'd be very interested for you to post the details of how to do this under the OPs typical suburban semi as a retrospective installation. It's not Beco blocks is it?

back to the topic - Is this a possible project?

basement and then extension?

Well yes, all I was trying to find out is whether you'd be interested in my proposal, nothing more nothing less...pinenot :)

Of course it is Aussie, but based on some of your previous posts I imagine that someone will tell you how much it is and you won't believe them telling them that it costs way too much.....

Anything is possible if you are prepared to pay. Retrospective basments are becoming 'common' in the prime postcodes of London but that's because the sky high land prices mitigate the costs.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you think having a 0.5m step down into the garden is going to save you a penny on your extension then you are living up to your name ;)

Unless you can actually do the work yourself or can project manage by subcontracting to the trades yourself you are going to pay roughly the sort of prices we have mentioned in previous threads.

Even the latter may not save you money as project managing, unless done well, can be counter productive in terms of costs.

If you find the costs of single/double storey extensions in London difficult to swallow then I don't think you'll be jumping for joy when it comes to basements :LOL:

Anything is possible if you are prepared to pay. Retrospective basments are becoming 'common' in the prime postcodes of London but that's because the sky high land prices mitigate the costs.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you think having a 0.5m step down into the garden is going to save you a penny on your extension then you are living up to your name ;)

Unless you can actually do the work yourself or can project manage by subcontracting to the trades yourself you are going to pay roughly the sort of prices we have mentioned in previous threads.

Even the latter may not save you money as project managing, unless done well, can be counter productive in terms of costs.

If you find the costs of single/double storey extensions in London difficult to swallow then I don't think you'll be jumping for joy when it comes to basements :LOL:

I am not being funny but can you explain the 0.5M step and whay this is not advantageous??

I know I will have to dig 2M out but shouldnt I already be a quarter of the way there?

I would have thought adding a basement when doing a new extenbsion is the best time rather then retrospectively!

It may be an 'advantage' but I wouldn't have thought that it will translate into a financial saving of any significance.

It's easy to think of things only from a home owners point of view. We must remember that a builder has overheads/fixed costs and needs to make a living. I just can't see how in the greater scheme of things on a fairly large extension your 0.5m step is going to save you anything of significance.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back