Basement slab advice please - can torn membrane be fixed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello helpful people. I'm trying to fix a fun issue in my basement and need your help.

When renovating down in the basement, the builder excavated the flooring, put down the waterproof membrane then poured the slab. In the 6 months following the build, the soft furnishings started going mouldy, particularly in one corner. So I rolled back the carpet and removed the skirting to investigate.

In the following two photos you can see the edge of one wall as it is now - with and without the membrane held up.

Picture 1 - length of wall edge:

IMG_1021.png

Picture 2 - Some of membrane lifted to show gripper rods:

IMG_1022.png

The skirting has been off for two months. Although the wall is up against earth floor to ceiling, there is no dripping, leaks or puddling etc. Just a lingering cold damp on the old edging bricks on the outside of the membrane.

The damp primarily came into the basement at corner in the following photo (you can see the discoloured corner of the gripper rods). And I think it was simply because the builder/chippy cut the membrane right down so be able to fit the skirting boards:

Picture 3 - the corner where the membrane is cut:

IMG_1024.png

I think the main issue is that water slowly came in at the far corner (there's a screw going through the damp-proofing paint) and tracked around the edge of the wall until it got to the cut membrane - at which point the damp seeped into the room. Nothing seems to be coming down the wall at all.

I do not want to do full tanking of the whole wall - just fix the current issue as I think that will be enough.

So far I have cleaned up, wire-brushed and vacuumed. So the questions I have are:

1) How can I fix the membrane? Can I patch repair it to fix where it's been cut?
2) How should I treat the wall, treat along the wall-floor joint and treat the old bricks the 'wet side' of the membrane?
3) Can I use the things I've bought so far or do I need other things? I have the following: "Sikabond SBR+" , "Bostik Damp Proofer and Waterproofer", "KA Fillet Seal" (picture below) and two bags of "SIKA Damp-proofing slurry"

My plan was to paint pure SBR+ onto those old bricks and slightly up the wall. Then mix up some of the fillet seal and trowel that behind the membrane. Any thoughts? Do I need another membrane?

Any help greatly appreciated as I want to get this done in the next few days. Thanks v much.

IMG_1027.png

IMG_1030.png

IMG_1028.png

Sponsored Links
By the way - I don't have to use those materials I listed....it's just that these are what I have.

The first main priority is fixing the membrane - any pointers gratefully received. (y)

I struggle to see the point in putting a DPM under a basement slab if the walls aren't tanked.

Also: Any ventilation down there?

Hi @Deluks yes there’s ventilation including an extractor.

The walls are “tanked” to a degree - In that they have been treated with some form of damp-retarding coating. I suppose the DPM helps any small amount of humidity to stay the “correct” side of the skirting board - and the DPM or able helps the insulation under the slab stay dry and effective for longer.

Sponsored Links
Here’s a new picture showing the full corner where the DPM has been cut for @^woody^ and @Deluks

94DB9CD8-692C-4A65-BF5D-A80E803A9689.jpeg

I think I may have to remove some of the old brick edging to get any sort of overlap with DPM tape - unless you have other bright ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back