Basic question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive a very basic question, but what should I use to fix plasterboard to wooden timbers?

Also how far apart should the timbers be. (The ones already in are about 18inches apart I think. Will this suffice or should I put in some more?)

Also, the shed when completed is going to be a model railway shed. The bottom half will be out of sight under the baseboards and 2/ 3rds of it above the boards will have a hardboard surround around the railway (A backscene to to us railway moddellers!) so I'm wondering if it's actually worth the effort having the plasterboard finihed off with a skim once its up and in place (Never done it before anyway!) Any thoughts on this please?

If I don't bother with a skim (I think thats the term!) would any harm come to it,(i.e the plasterboard) if I was to paint directly onto it?

Hope someone can help? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
you can fix the boards to the timbers using drywall screws.

18" or 450mm centres will be ok, though i would be inclined to use 12.5mm plasterboards.

unplastered boards will only take so many knocks and will be less stiff. plus, with it being a shed the boards will be more susceptible to damp and will tolerate even less abuse. you may be wiser to use say 9mm w.b.p. ply.

Sponsored Links
When building stud walls on site the studs (uprights) are 600mm centers, thats when using 12.5mm board. if your going to put hardboard over is id just like it with well treated ply with a nice finish and then just varnish it.
or even get some tounge and groove and have a sweedish sauna effect ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back