basic rawl plug question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to attach a guitar wall mount. It came with rawl plugs (white) and some screws (1/3 longer than the plugs)

On the rawl plugs there's a '6' so I presumed that meant they were 6mm. I drilled 3 holes the length of the screws with a 6mm bit.

Only then did I notice that the rawlplugs were around 1cm shorter than the screws.

I havent tried pushing the plugs deep inside the wall before screwing into them. Would this be ok? I've only ever seen rawlplugs flush with walls.

What should I do? thanks.

Sponsored Links
When I start to screw into the plug (when it's flush with the wall) it turns and doesn't grip. That's why I'm wondering if it'd work if I pushed the plug into the end of the hole?

You can push the plugs in, loose wall face often does not grip near the surface so pushing the plug in helps. Ideally throw fixings supplied with most things you purchase as they are often inferior [cheaply mass produced in China, India etc]

Sponsored Links
Yep, good tip, I just made a bed a few days ago and a lot of the supplied screw's heads got stripped or broke off. I've ordered some decent rawlplugs, so will wait for those to arrive. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back