basic soldering question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have the tools and some spare pipe and connectors and going to try out some soldering
I have read various articles about soldering, but is there any way of testing the grade of quality to a joint besides whether it leaks or not?

Sponsored Links
Seeing as you're only practising cut down the joint with a hacksaw and peel it off then you will see whether the solder has run all around the joint or not.

I think this is similar to welding, where you can't subject every joint to a test other than a visual examination. The quality is related to the skill of the person doing the job and his/her skill is judged by carrying out destructive tests on test samples which were produced in the presence of some approving authority.
You could cut through/near a few joints to ensure solder has flowed the full length of and all round the joint.
Other than that you need to pressure test, which usually happens during installation.
My son removed a leaking joint, which I sectioned to reveal that solder had not flowed fully in the area that was nearest the wall,

Sponsored Links
once you have soldered the joint blank off 1 end (with your finger perhaps) then stick it in a bowl or bucket of water then blow done the pipe as much as you can & see if any bubbles come out of the joint,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back