Basic Tiling Advice for a Complete Beginner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im just about to fit a new bathroom all by myself (scary stuff as Im very new to all this). :eek: :oops:

I have stripped off the old tiles from the walls, and have a mixture of a rough surface where the old tiles were, and bumpy artex above a certain level (as the walls weren't completely tiled).

I want to fix the bath in the corner, and use the hose from the tap as a shower.
I've scoured the internet as to what I should put on the walls to make them water proof, and I've come across gypsum, green board, cement fibre boards, PVA seal etc etc.

I guess the best approach would be to have the walls plastered, so that they are even, but what of the previously mentioned water-proofing should I use ?! None of them seem to be easily purchased in any bog standard hardware stores here in the UK (Homebase, focus etc)
Would I use the same on the floors as well, as I intend to put down floor tiles, once I have put a covering of some sort over the wooden floor ?

Can I just tile over the walls as they are without re-plastering (baring in mind in a beginner) ?

I would be incredibly grateful if some one could give me some guidance.

P.S. I want to do it as cheaply as possible ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi ArnieUK,

You have a big job on .....lol ;) :)

regarding the walls I would fix tile backerboards on bare walls
see here
http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/3/tips/tips_hardibacker.html

saves me along write up .. ;)

an use BAL WATERPROOF SHOWER KIT,on the wet area by the shower ,

Dont use the bog standard Diy sheds use a tile shop ,topps tiles are very good , you get PROPER ADVICE/HELP there ;)

once you have the walls done comback for more advice

regarding the floors if you have a read up here
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16

on the many posts there about the correct procedure for tiling in a bathroom ,:)
Hope this helps you :) :) :)

Hi Moz! :D

Thank you for that, looked everywhere for something useful!

So would I apply that backer board to the entire bathroom (floors and walls, or just round the bath area ?

P.S. Where can you get BAL WATERPROOF SHOWER KIT from? Can't find it anywhere :(

Hi ArnieUK,
You apply the tile backer board on WALLS where you are tiling if the substrate /wall is uneven brickwork ,rough plaster/ plasterboard ,
tile backer board is like plasterboard but is made with cement ...an quite strong for hanging tiles too

BAL WATERPROOF SHOWER KIT,
http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060
you can get this waterproofer membrane kit from many good tile shops/topps tiles or they will sell you a similar good product but different manufacteur ,:)

Sponsored Links
Hi Moz,

Thank you for your advice, am going to pay TopsTiles a visit today... but will get a quote from a tiler to see how much i am going to save by doing the work myself :cool: :rolleyes: :eek:

Thanks again for your guidance :D

Hi ArnieUK

No problems , if you require any assistance /advice on doing the work yourself come back an ask here .... ;)

btw it may work out cheaper to get a Pro Tiler to do the walls/ floor
but you do lose a lot of self satisfaction of not doing it yourself ....

let us Know how you get on :) :)

Moz said:
btw it may work out cheaper to get a Pro Tiler to do the walls/ floor but you do lose a lot of self satisfaction of not doing it yourself ....
How's it work out cheaper to get someone in to do the work for you??? :confused:

If you prep the wall 1st an then supply tiles , adhesive an grout what the tiler recommends , you save having to buy all the tools ,etc

ArnieUK
Their are tilers tools an tilers tools ,
you may get the cheap an cheerful stuff an everything ok ....:) ;)
for a one of job you probably will be cheaper doing it yourself ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back