Basin taps backnut washer(s) split - What to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not that long ago with help from this forum I fitted some new basin taps in my bathroom.

Unfortunately each has been leaking a tiny bit from the rubber washer which sits above the backnut.

I've removed one of the taps this evening and the rubber washer is split where it would have been seated towards the rear of the tap which is presumably why it was leaking a tad.

The taps are standard 1/2", the hole seems rather large and has a diameter of 1 1/4" - is this why the rubber washer(s) have split? The basin is quite old - approx 20 years.

Here is a pic:

How can I fix this please? Is there such a thing as larger rubber washers for 1/2" taps?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking that the rubber washer should be between the tap and the basin. Tightening the back nut on to the rubber washer will just ruin it

Sponsored Links
Sorry I'm getting confused with the terminology, I fit the tap with the rubber washer under the basin, top hat and then flexi tail.

So I should have put the rubber washer under the tap, then under the basin the top hat and flexi tail?

Why do the installation instructions in with the taps and on the web show the rubber washer underneath the basin? Does it need to be on top because the hole is bigger than normal?

Bit confused..! Cheers.

Yes, washer between the tap and the basin. Then under the basin should be the top hat and flexi only.

I have not read those instructions but they are clearly wrong as any plumber will tell you.

Perhaps the Chinese tap firm had a junior writing the instructions?

Or perhaps the washer they show is a plastic one?

Tony

Yeah the MI has it the wrong way around, rubber washer should be on the tap body against the top of the sink, to protect the surface and lessen movement, not underneath. If anything, as Tony say, there's sometime a harder plastic one underneath but you're using a top hat. A little squirt on silicone against it wouldn't hurt either, just a small amount.

Basins do not need top hat washers, but will do no harm. Poly washers will do.
Top hat washers are to add 'bulk' to thin, flexible stainless steel sink tops.

I've even seen wooden battening used instead of top hats to add strength to some SS tops.

Can't agree with that charnwood, as far as I'm concerned top hat washers are for stabilising the taps and stopping them from spinning. They may well help with thin stainless steel sinks too but don't forget they make 3/4" as well as 1/2" ones.

Monument Stikfast washers :idea: Google and all will be revealed : . Top hats are for Ascot, weddings and thin metal sinks and baths :mrgreen:

Nice one nige, just think if you had one of them on the top and a top hat underneath that tap ain't going anywhere. ;)
But at 43 quid a hundred I'm sticking to the top hats, they might even work out dearer but you can buy them in packs of ten, so it seems cheaper. :LOL:

I normally find that basin taps that heave fixed soldered pipes are fine and don't need a top hat, but flexi connections could do with a bit more support. What happened to the old style square hole/tap? Another good idea wasted

Ok so originally I bought a pack of 10 'Split Klick' centralising washers (cost around £1 each - so £10 for 10) wanting to make installing the basin taps as easy as possible but these would not fit my basin or bath, they were slightly too big?

Took them back to Screwfix and explained the problem, no advice offered and a refund provided?

Was I somehow using them wrong? Did they need some kind of force to get them into the tap hole?

Thanks for all advice, will raise issue of the rubber washers / manual with the company I bought the taps from and see what they say as well. As I guess I need some more washers and looks like toolstation and screwfix only do them in packs of 100!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back