basin waste outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the bath I used silicone to seal the waste outlet to the bath, as recommended.

I have no instructions for the basin, and have only read about using plumbers mait, I would have thought clear silicone would look better: is there any reason to use plumbers mait instead?

Sponsored Links
Silicon is ideal for that so what you done was correct as plumbers mait is not really designed for the job you done. It is meant for leaking pipes and is a brown, putty like substance that hardenes within minutes on a wet or dry surface once kneaded together. A handy thing to have in the house in case of an emergency all the same.
However, if you are connecting two pieces by the means of a thread it is always advisable to use (I've forgot the abreviation, it's something like UFFF..most likely not!) thread tape as a secondary precaution to possible leaks as well as silicon inbetween the outlet and bath.

It's called PTFE Tape and be sure to wind it on in the direction you will tighten the nut so it tightens with the thread and not against it.

Sponsored Links
Plumbers mait is a non hardening putty which is used to bed sanitary fittings in place.I think graeme is getting mixed up with a 2 part putty called milliput,which hardens very quickly.plumbers mait will do the job you require but clear silicone is better/neater in my opinion.
Dont forget you will need sanitary silicone not one of the other types which are available ie low modulous as used window/door frames.

Thanks for the correction ogoshi, I have just looked at my tube of erm milliput and the manufacturer has decided to call it Plumbers Maite!!. Hense the misunderstanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back