Leaking bath outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone adivse me on this.
Our bath is leaking from the outlet,Do I have to completely remove the outlet and remove the old silicone and reseat the outlet on new silicone (around the plughole)and do I have to use any silicone underneath on the back nut previously it was smeared with plumbers mait or is it just a case of refitting the back nut with a new washer and ptfe?

and whats the best way to remove the plumbers mait?

Sponsored Links
If the people that make this stuff did there job properly you should not have to use any silicone or extra sealer the washers should work. But in reality you generally have to use a sealant to get a perfect seal, which sealant you use is a matter of preference, i prefer silicone

Thanks
So silicone under outlet (plughole side) ptfe around the thread then washer and nut and more silicone will that do?

So the plumbers mait will boiling water remove it

Sponsored Links
What works for me is a small amount of silicone on the strainer (plug hole) and a larger amount below before you put the nut on, tighten the nut (not so tight as to crush the washer) and leave to set.

Cheers.
It was originally installed by a plumber, but has now started leaking so I am thinking it probably needs a new washer,Are they available online as I am at work this week till late and won't be able to get them at a shop.But would be able to do the job when I get in from work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back