Bath Hot Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bath/shower mixer tap and when i use the hot tap it sometimes runs cold also in recent times the tap seems to be seizing up in that you turn the tap on intially to a full flow then about a minute later the water flow has dwindled to very little or nothing.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I think the tap has a ceramic tap body. Unfortunately not being strong enough, with the use of a spanner, i wasn't able to dismantle the tap to perhaps give it a clean and descale the the insides. Have booked a plumber but i don't want him trying to rip off a woman so want to have an idea what the problem could be.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A little bit more info could be useful here.....if you have a combi boiler, maybe it can't cope with the demands of the bath hot tap...if it runs cold.
If the flow packs in altogether then either its a tap fault (ceramic inserts are usually available) or the header tank in the loft is running dry.
If the tap becomes difficult to turn then it is a ceramic insert problem - but these usually fault by not being able to turn them off. Its the washered type of tap that usually stiffens up.
John :)

Hello squeaky, yes you are indeed right not everyone if out on the make. I suppose i'm just being cautious.

Burnerman, thanks for your help, i do have combi boiler and as i am getting hot water in my kitchen and bathroom basin with no problems i believe it is to do with the tap itself. To be honest i am thinking of replacing the whole tap as it just might be easier. I got the impression trying to source the ceramic inserts can be a bit difficult.

Sponsored Links
Dancer
Combi boilers can only supply a limited amount of hot water on demand. This is fine for wash hand basins, showers etc but for baths its asking a bit much. You should get a deluge of water though, but it wont be very hot unless you turn the tap off a bit to reduce the flow.
If the flow tends to stop or reduce considerably then we can suspect a tap fault (unless there is a partial blockage somewhere).
So, its up to you what to do next. Ceramic tap inserts are available, but you must replace exactly like for like or the thing wont shut off at all. You could get lucky at B&Q etc - who knows? If no luck, then a new set of taps is the obvious way to go.
If your tap has isolator valves on the flow, you can at least turn off the water there while you go searching.....if not, its the mains stop cock you have to use.
John :)

Thank you for all your help burnerman, i have a plumber due to come at the weekend and in between times i will go out and get a new tap from homebase as a standby, will see what happens.

Thanks again..!!

Hey muggles, well i bought and moved into my flat 9 years ago and the bath mixer was already there. I'm moving out shortly so need a quick and cheap solution, i could have left it for the new owner to deal with but that wouldn't be fair really.

Where abouts do you live? I'll pop round and have a look at the tap for you for nothing. DIYNOT Discount. Although if you want to pay me with a lamb curry i'm happy to accept the offer!

Thanks Ironnaz, however, i already have a plumber coming by on saturday, hopefully all will be sorted then.

Sorry never made a lamb curry before, but if you said a chilli well that would be a different thing..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back