bath in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have just moved into a house and i am looking to have my bath sunk into the floor as i have seen it in some brochures i am wondering if anyone can tell me what would i have to do to my floor and what i would have to use to support the bath.I have enough room in the room below to drop the floor any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
They have them on the wall in B&Q, but they can't fill them up with water.

As seco said surely your joist is going to be in the way if not i cant wait to see it on the next season of cribbs :cool:

Sponsored Links
how would i bw#e able to support the weight of the bath does anyone know or know were i can find out

1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo

say, 100 - 125 litres of water plus one of two porky people plus the weight of the bath itself.

You can do what you want in a brochure, in brochures boilers dont have any pipes connected to them, came as a shock to one of my customers. :rolleyes:

As the previous post suggest the brochures show some very nice ideas, unfortunatly some of them are inpractical in terms of cost and implication. A better option would be to have a joiner re-inforce the joists and raise the floor in one area and place the bath in the lower section giving the illusion the bath is sunk

put aside 2 or 3k or raise the floor in the bathroom or indeed just in the area around the bath ;)

i have enough room in the room below the bathroom to drop the floor so would i be able to put more joists there and what would be best underneath the bath to hold the weight

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:08 pm Post Subject: hf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have enough room in the room below the bathroom to drop the floor so would i be able to put more joists there and what would be best underneath the bath to hold the weight

An elephant. :LOL:

how much roughly would i be looking at to put the bath in the floor and drop the ceiling in the room below

We've gone the other way and raised the floor with a step up to the bath. So the new floor sits on top of the old one, if you follow me.
If your bathroom is above two opposing supporting walls, and you can get a new set of joists two-three foot under the existing floor to hold up the bath, and also support the old floor (which will now have an elephant-sized 'ole in it), then you're home and dare I say dry.
A structural engineer would be the best person to ask, shortly followed by building control if you want it doing properly/safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back