Bath not emptying due to not enough fall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time posting....not for me but for a friend (honest!) She has just had a thermal bath fitted and it isn't emptying properly as water is pooling at the end furthest from the taps. The plumber said it had to be fitted with the feet fully extended (don't know why). Is there any reason why this must be done? I thought baths had a gradient already built in. If so I'm guessing the height of the feet are causing the problem. The water is going down the waste ok but is just pooling at the top end.

He said that the side panel was fitted with putty which I'm assuming is just plumbers putty and should be fairly easy to get off to have a look. Am I right? Think we'll take the panel off and have a look and maybe we could cut the pipes and drop the front end of the bath down to make it drain properly. Here's hoping anyway....

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
The slope of the bath can't be correct - you need to either drop the front end or raise the end where the water is pooling to a point where any water put in the bath drains.

Did the cowboy who installed this bath not have a spirit level ? . :rolleyes:

I once had a similar botched installation by some fool who claimed that he was a qualified Pipefitter - I told him afterwards that I wouldn't trust him to fit a pipe in a snowman's mouth ! . :LOL:

Thanks. Didn't want to use the word cowboy before I had it confirmed!!

would it be possible to post a pic, your friend can be in the bath if she wants :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Get the ''Plumber' back and get him to fit it properly ie: using a spirit level and while he's at it he can remove the 'putty' from the panel and fix that properly too.

Thanks Squeaky. Thought putty was a bit of a short cut. My panel is fixed with screws into a baton. Wouldn't mind but this fella wasn't cheap either!

That's ok.

If he denies being a cowboy, print this page out and show it to him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back