Bath overflow leaking like Niagara

Sponsored Links
I take it they're both mcalpine? Good sign of a decent manufacturer... Its the same as one I did in the week.

I don't think so actually... it's this one, which is unbranded.

And I was just about to fit it, when I noticed this:

20190914_172200.jpg

Doesn't look great, does it... back to SF tomorrow methinks :mad:

Sponsored Links
Well, got it changed and... it nearly works!!!

Actually, it VERY nearly works. The bit I expected to leak (the waste) appears to be compleely wateright... so far... but there's a slight weep from where the original problem was, ie through the top of the overflow.

I cleaned the surfaces and assembled it all very carefully, and there's not much to go wrong really... just a big rubber seal against the back of the tub. I *hate* using silicone on something which should work without it, but maybe it's time for a quick dab...?

Is the rubber seal centred properly over the hole in the bath ? Is it fitted the correct way up ,some are not flat washers ? I have never had to use silicone or anything else to seal the overflow assembly to the bath ,other than the supplied seal.

Well no wonder it leaks !! That area should have been smoothed off by manufacturer. Out of curiosity ,on the underside of the waste hole in the bath ,is that area smoothed off ?
Unless you apply silicone ,or mait ,its unlikely that you will seal that overflow with just the washer.

Well no wonder it leaks !! That area should have been smoothed off by manufacturer.

Really! I of course had no idea… guess silicone it is, then…

Out of curiosity ,on the underside of the waste hole in the bath ,is that area smoothed off ?

Unless you apply silicone ,or mait ,its unlikely that you will seal that overflow with just the washer.

I’ll go and look when I get a minute. But it has sealed so far – I filled the bath to overflowing (to check the overflow, of course) & emptied it all again, with no drips from underneath.

At least I’m doing this on a concrete floor, not a wooden one :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back