Bath panels/sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. The pipes to my shower have been fitted on the outside of my tiled bathroom wall for both decorative and practical reasons, the problem is that my bath is now approx 1 inch away from the wall. I have filled the gap with wood and sealed over it with a lot of sealant to stop water ingressing, however this was just a temporary measure as it does not look very good with inch wide sealant along the bath.

My question is, do you think it would be better to cut holes in my acrylic bath where the pipes are and push the bath against the wall or does anyone have any other suggestions rather than inch thick sealant. If the first is an option, can anyone adivse on how to make a bath panel which will be an inch wide to cover up where the tiles on the floor have stopped at the other side.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Do these not tend to become unstuck? also as the pipes are also a couple of mm away from the wall i would need to try and get round the back of these.

Thanks

Real bummer this happening. What ever you do it willn't look right.
If you use a spacer between the wall and bath a seal may not do it. You could try cutting tiles to cover the spacer. Or you could go to a double glazing suppliers and get a long plastic strip that you cut to fit, even with neat holes for the pipes. You'll have plenty to practice with. Also get your adhesive from them.
To cover the pipes try B&Q for a white plastic channel.
As a precaution make the seal between the bath/wall and spacer really well because anything else you do will be cosmetic and use masking tape.

Sponsored Links
VictoriaWalker";p="1772334 said:
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. The pipes to my shower have been fitted on the outside of my tiled bathroom wall for both decorative and practical reasons,
Whats practical about having the bath an inch from the wall?
Sounds a right mess, pipes should never be routed like that.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. The pipes to my shower have been fitted on the outside of my tiled bathroom wall for both decorative and practical reasons, the problem is that my bath is now approx 1 inch away from the wall. I have filled the gap with wood and sealed over it with a lot of sealant to stop water ingressing, however this was just a temporary measure as it does not look very good with inch wide sealant along the bath.

My question is, do you think it would be better to cut holes in my acrylic bath where the pipes are and push the bath against the wall or does anyone have any other suggestions rather than inch thick sealant. If the first is an option, can anyone adivse on how to make a bath panel which will be an inch wide to cover up where the tiles on the floor have stopped at the other side.

Thanks for your help

Any chance of a picture or three?

the pipes are chrome so they look good, and the practical reason was that if there was any problems with the pipework then we wouldnt need to rip up the tiles.

I am leaning towards cutting holes in the bath where the pipes are and pushing the bath against the wall. Just to mention that the pipes are in the midlde of the length of the bath and the bath is only against 2 walls. so i would be cutting a hole in the side of the bath and pushing the side of the bath agaist the wall. Then i would create a box like bath panel to cover the fact that the tiles on the floor would no longer reach the bath. The question now is how easy is it to cut an acrylic bath?

Thanks everyone for their help

It is possible to cut an acrylic bath, but whether the end result would be satisfactory is debatable.....presumably you intend to cut out 2 'U' slots to allow the bath to be pushed up hard to the wall?
Anyway, cover the area to be cut with masking tape, and take great care to mark out where you want to cut.
You can use a coping saw with a fine fret blade or indeed a fretsaw, but you'll need a rat tail file standing by to file the curve smooth.
I wish you so much luck with this one.....is it not possible to remove some tiles and bury those pipes into the wall?
John :)

the pipes are chrome so they look good, and the practical reason was that if there was any problems with the pipework then we wouldnt need to rip up the tiles.

I am leaning towards cutting holes in the bath where the pipes are and pushing the bath against the wall. Just to mention that the pipes are in the midlde of the length of the bath and the bath is only against 2 walls. so i would be cutting a hole in the side of the bath and pushing the side of the bath agaist the wall. Then i would create a box like bath panel to cover the fact that the tiles on the floor would no longer reach the bath. The question now is how easy is it to cut an acrylic bath?

Thanks everyone for their help
You don't get problem with pipework, only the connections , whatever were you thinking? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back