Bath resurfacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the products advertised online for enamel bath resurfacing (eg. http://www.tubbyuk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181) worthwhile? I have a bath that is looking very worn, so am thinking this might be a good project. By the way, I'm assuming my bath is an enamel one simply because when I tap it, the sound is metallic rather than plastic. I presume that's good enough to go on?

Also, is there anything I can do to resurface the chrome plughole while I'm at it?

Much appreciated if anyone can help.

Sponsored Links
Im not sure about those kits..ive never used them but it might be worthwhile haivng a look in the yellow pages for someone to do it..theres a few people who do that sort of thing around.

As for the plug hole..id say the best thing to do is buy a new on and fit it yourself...its quite easy.

Im not sure about those kits..ive never used them but it might be worthwhile haivng a look in the yellow pages for someone to do it..theres a few people who do that sort of thing around.

As for the plug hole..id say the best thing to do is buy a new on and fit it yourself...its quite easy.

OK, thanks, I'll have a look for someone. The problem with replacing the plughole is that the bath is sealed in and it would be very hard to access the underside of it. I presume this would be necessary in order to replace the plughoe.

Yep you would need to get access to the underneath of your bath for that

As for painting it...it will only work short term because of the amount of time it will be under water and any paint willhave a probelm sticking to the existing finish

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Zampa, for your previous advice. I'm looking at this again (yes it's not on the top of my to do list!).

OK, so I've got access to the underside of the bath. But how do I remove the existing plughole? I'm guessing I need to unscrew the nut marked in the photo. But I can't manage to turn it at all. It probably hasn't been touched for 30 years. Is there anything I can try to make it easier?

I could get a plumber in to do replace the plughole for me. But in Central London that's going to be at least £100. I was going to get the bath resurfaced anyway, as discussed, at a cost of £250. So maybe I should just get a new bath instead?

Dunno mate, sorry im not a plumber...try the plumbing forum

You`re wasting £250 on a " paint job " on that bath :!: either get a new one or check out Chadder+ co. Forest Row sussex. The only bath re furbisher I`d recommend ;) PS that`s a vitreous enamelled cast iron bath

Are the products advertised online for enamel bath resurfacing (eg. http://www.tubbyuk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181) worthwhile? I have a bath that is looking very worn, so am thinking this might be a good project. By the way, I'm assuming my bath is an enamel one simply because when I tap it, the sound is metallic rather than plastic. I presume that's good enough to go on?

Also, is there anything I can do to resurface the chrome plughole while I'm at it?

Depends on what you want to achieve. They are ok if you want to do it every couple of years & do not mind brush marks in the surface finish.

Depends on what you want to achieve. They are ok if you want to do it every couple of years & do not mind brush marks in the surface finish.

Thanks, I've pretty much decided to get a new one now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back