Bath/Shower Mixer Tap Problem

ijc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Grateful for your experience and wisdom!

I've got a bath shower mixer very much like the one pictured below. The tap handles are of the sort that only revolve a limited amount. However the hot one has started spinning loose (in either direction), and not opening or closing the valve, so no hot water...

I've popped off the top plate from the tap and noticed the screw inside had come loose, detaching the handle from the valve. So I tightened it as hard as I could. This fixed it for a while but the problem has recurred after a few days.

I told people not to turn the tap vigorously as it's only meant to revolve between the stopping points. Is it likely this is the only cause, or might there be something else needs doing inside the tap? Or do I need to tighten it even harder?

Thanks as ever

Ian

Neisse%20bath%20shower%20mixer.jpg

Sponsored Links
try a drop of Loctite on the screw thread/down the hole it goes in :idea:

try a drop of Loctite on the screw thread/down the hole it goes in :idea:

Thanks Nige. I considered using glue but wanted to check with the experts that I'm not missing anything more fundamental first. Unless I hear cries of "no!" I'll do that tomozza.

Cheers

Ian

why dont u get a Tap reviver kit, turn your water off remove the plate of the top and screw and using adjustable remove the old tap and replace with the riviver

Sponsored Links
why dont u get a Tap reviver kit, turn your water off remove the plate of the top and screw and using adjustable remove the old tap and replace with the riviver

The tap is only a couple of years old and was quite expensive so replacing bits seems somehow unfair!

Do you think loctite to hold the screw is a bad idea?

Thanks again.

Ian

Take the tap top off and check the condition of the splines that allow the tap to turn...if they are worn, replacement is best...if not, go for the Loctite thread lock.
Loctite sticks like hell....but it does release with heat.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back