Bath / Shower mixer tap with turn operation not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a shower mixer tap bought from Screwfix about 6 months ago.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/swirl-traditional-chrome-bath-shower-mixer-tap/11277
IMAG1669.jpg

Now the lever which you turn left or right to divert the water to the tap or shower is very stiff and when turned will return to centre.

Is it possible to repair this? or am I looking at getting a new unit?

I have taken it apart as much as possible, but then can go no more. Also where the tap/spout (where the water comes out for the bath) there seams to be a join or seam but i can not turn to unscrew it.

Any ideas Please?

Pics below.

IMAG1670.jpg

IMAG1668.jpg

IMAG1671.jpg

IMAG1673.jpg

IMAG1674.jpg

IMAG1675.jpg

IMAG1672.jpg

IMAG1677.jpg

IMAG1676.jpg

IMAG1682.jpg

IMAG1683.jpg

I

Sponsored Links
See the insert with the brass peg (that often breaks off) :p
If you prise the clip off just below the splines the peg part can be withdrawn from the body.
Gently does it....
John :)

Take it off and return it to screwfix for a refund (under 12 months old) and replace with a better quality one.

Also redo the silicone while the taps are off.

Andy

Hi - did you eventually fix this mixer tap or exchange/buy a new one?? Asking becos I've got the same problem!!

Sponsored Links
Think you'll find that he was a one-post-wonder.

If yours is still under guarantee, I wouldn't mess about with it. Just take it back to where you bought it from for a refund.

Thanks.
Maybe plumbing is his only weak DIY area?! Certainly took extremely good photos and had the gumption to strip the tap as far as he could. Taking taps apart is not an everyday job for us mere mortals! Unfortunately, mine is long beyond guarantee but I'd be annoyed if it was a simple fix - I think it's a quality make.

If it's a quality branded tap, you should be able to get spares. I have just put a new diverter (the bit that is causing you problems) in a customer's Twyford Beaufort mixer. I got the parts for nothing from Twyford's. If you can identify the make you might have a chance. Or try -

http://www.shop.lunns.net/

With Screwfix unbranded stuff, it's cheap, but when it goes wrong you have to bin it.

Thanks for that.
If you're still looking.... can the splined shaft unit (to which the diverter handle is attached) be easily removed even if the handle is difficult to turn? I'm wondering what happens as the peg at the opposite end (presumably) turns?? Does it engage with the white plastic mechanism shown in the photos?
Regards.

Hello Roncham, Just been searching web if there was a way to fix the lever hand and found this page, did you manage to fix your issue (I mean without replacing taps!)?. We have the same problem and replacing taps means moving sink so way bigger job. Knowing it might be repairable would be great!
Cheers!

Hi - I'm afraid I never did repair it. And I've still got it! It still works reasonably well which is why I haven't replaced it (plus, as with you, exceedingly awkward). I tracked down an exploded diagram which showed a couple of dozen tiny parts, none of which I could readily obtain. My mixer tap is a Bramham which I believe is a fairly good make - though I've seen it on the net for less than £100. But buying a replacement is the easy bit!

It seems to me answers are not so readily forthcoming on these forums as they were a couple of years ago (austerity??) - and I'm sorry I've also been unable to help you.

Regards.

Hi, No worries, I am going to tackle cleaning each tap with a re-seater first. I found 'pkatz' photo's really useful so I can see what comes out when you unscrew the lever arm. Our spindle arm does not rotate as much as it used to. I'm wondered if the spindle has broken or whether it was just re-assembled wrong (someone else had a go at it already). I don't figure it can do much more harm as it doesn't operate properly as a show attachment now.
Thanks though for coming back so quickly.
Cheers

Hi everyone i have a similar problem. A brass O ring that seems to have been part of the white plastic diverter shuttle has perished. I need to get the shuttle out. If i use a large allen key will the top part shown in the photo unscrew to give me access to the shuttle ?

Yes it should give you access to the diverter, though you may be hard pushed to find a replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back