Bath shower screen gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new shower screen installed over my bath. The rubber seal is inadequate as the flap at the bottom needs to be longer to make a proper seal, I have to physically adjust it to make sure it's bending flat against the lip of the bath. I can change that for another one, but the main problem is a 2 to 3mm gap where I've marked in yellow in my pictures below, and I assume the same thing would occur with a replacement seal? There's a gap between the yellow arrows where the seal butts up to the round chrome post. What can I do to fix it? My builder said he would put more mastic there, but I can't really see if that would solve it. Water leaks on to the floor there, so I've been pulling the screen at nearly 45 degrees towards me to stop that happening when showering.

Would it make it waterproof if I try cutting a few mm section of the plastic part above the rubber like this guy demonstrates from 5:45 of the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8cycIh2NQ

Sponsored Links
Poor quality/design, a good shower screen has a vertical seal at the base and usually only open out as a result.

Well I ordered it from amazon for about £90 and my builder fitted it. He's put more mastic around the bottom of the post but still doesn't work. I think I'll need to replace the seal but I'm not sure if that'll help. :(

Sponsored Links
Bottom half of seal should be slightly longer than top so it's snug with base.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I took the seal off, and looking closely, it's not a straight edge all the way down, it slightly slopes to the left on the rubber bit, putting the rubber slightly behind the plastic bit on top. I held it against a piece of wood and you can see the gap. Should it look like that? (see pics below). So there's no way this seal can sit flush against the shower screen post all the way down the edge, surely?

Do you think it's just a case of buying a better seal with a straight edge? Seems to be the same at both ends.

The seal is twisted, probably not pushed into place fully meaning the blade has twisted with use, just need trimming back beyond damage, or new seal.

I have had two of those screens in different houses and they have both leaked, I have one in the house now that I fitted reluctantly, the mrs chose it, anyway I tried all the trimming but it never stopped altogether, in the end I got a piece of white 25mm angle trim and stuck it to the bottom of the door and the bath, the door don't move but it don't leak either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back