Bath Tap - Is This Bend in Flexi Hose a Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My parents got new bath taps fitted. Old ones were directly copper piped, the fitter cut the pipes and fitted flexi hoses to make it easier to fit the new tap. Fair enough I guess, but when I was over visiting I checked the work and noticed that there is a bit of a kink in one of the flexis - image below.

It does not seem to restrict the flow at all, so my concern is whether this will cause it to burst, or be more likely to burst suddenly.

Contacted the fitter and he basically wasn't interested, said it is grand and just to replace it if I notice any bulges or fraying or rust in a few years.

There is an isolation valve on the flexi so I have turned the water to the tap off for the moment - I'd like some reassurance or guidance from the good people here - is it ok to just leave it? It is in an awkward position, but should I get a longer Flexi (the current one is 300mm) and "loop" it? Or just get a proper plumber in? Any pointers appreciated - I don't want my parents left in a potential flood situation. On the other hand I have been known to be overcritical about things which are actually grand so if the fitter is right and I'm just worrying about nothing please let me know.
1000014641.jpg

Sponsored Links
I don’t think it’s going to cause any immediate problem, but it’s a poor install and No shouldn’t be kinked as it is.

Sponsored Links
As others have said, it's not right. Slacken one end, untwist it, then retighten, holding the hose so it doesn't rotate.
I don’t think it’s going to cause any immediate problem, but it’s a poor install and No shouldn’t be kinked as it is.

Not good!
I think that hose would eventually fail.
John

Ouch, that's twisted as it's been tightened. Poor attention to detail. I wouldn't leave one like that
Thank you all.

As for loosing it and untwisting it, the issue is that the space between the pipe and tap is shorter than the length of the hose, I don't see how it can fit without some sort of kink. Any ideas?

Somewhat reassuring in that the consensus seems to be that it shouldn't immediately cause an issue, but I'll have to do something in the longer term.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
As for loosing it and untwisting it, the issue is that the space between the pipe and tap is shorter than the length of the hose, I don't see how it can fit without some sort of kink. Any ideas?
Post a photo a bit further back so we can see the copper pipe, you might be able to trim some off and straighten it out, or just do it in copper.

Post a photo a bit further back so we can see the copper pipe, you might be able to trim some off and straighten it out, or just do it in copper.
What's happened is that the cold feed was cut low enough for the Flexi to go on with no issues, but probably because the bath drain pipe is in between making it more awkward, the hot feed was cut higher meaning the Flexi didn't easily fit. Not great.

I would be tempted to get a plumber out to re do it in copper or at least cut the pipe properly and fit a new hose properly.

Reactions: CBW
I'd be telling the original installer it's not acceptable and could be please get his arrogant a$$ back and untwist the flexi. It really isn't difficult to get a flexi on without twisting, it doesn't need to be on that tight. If the gap it too small then the pipe is just pigtailed.

Even then, loosening the valve end and twisting the kink out would do it but the valve would probably end up pointing in the wrong direction then.

You might be able to change the piping length on either side of the flex. A kink like that could break the internal hose resulting in a flood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back