Bath trap - shallow or deep? (Photo included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in to our new house two years ago. We've had a plumber round recently to have a look at putting us in an outside tap at the rear of the property and he has raised a couple of concerns over the fitting of our bath.
View media item 19197The bath in the property has been fitted with a shallow seal bath trap, the plumber tells me it should have been fitted with a deep seal bath trap to prevent foul gases entering the property from the waste pipe. Is this correct?

I contacted the Builders who built the property and their answer was as succint as they always are - "the property met NHBC inspection and we do not believe there to be a problem".

Also, as you'll see from the picture below the middle support on the bath is hanging in mid air, it has never been fitted correctly. The builders said they did not see this as being a problem either.

Any views to either issue would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
NHBC :LOL: more like NF`ing G :rolleyes: Plumber is right . have a Hep V O waste valve fitted :idea: saves cutting a hole in the floor. Give us all a laugh...name that " builder"

The bath manufacturers design obviously required a centre support. So it is there for a reason. Adjust it so it is supporting the bath

My thinking also . . . and thats something I can fix fairly easily just disappointing it wasn't done correctly in the first place. And disappointing response from the builder.

It's the shallow bath trap which causes me most concern.

Sponsored Links
I'd prefer to see a bottle trap fitted here, but foul gases will still be prevented from entering the room because of the trap water level....
The bath support should definitely be lowered to the floor - or if it won't unscrew far enough, a batten placed underneath it.
John :)

I`d prefer to see a deep seal P trap or a Hep waste valve , then apart from an apocalypse ,there would be no foul air ;) ...what other abnomalities of building services "design" are hidden away in the property

You are slagging off the builders about the bath-trap but have you in actual fact noticed any bad smells coming in the house as a consequence of this?
Half the bath traps in the country look like yours. They are only unacceptable in certain cases, not every one. It depends if the waste water discharges into a gully or into a soil stack.
The leg on the bath is more of a clue of bad workmanship.It should have been fitted to support the middle of the bath. They obviously forgot.

the trap seal depends on what type of stack it goes into, so looking at the photo means nothing, if it goes into a soil stack it must be a 75mm deep trap, so more info req'd, the middle bath leg being loose doesn't inspire much confidence in the plumber,

New house 2 years ago...NHBC.... It must have a soil pipe single stack system and therefore require a deep seal trap :rolleyes: Or have new builds gone back to open gullies and a hopper from the bathroom. Have you lot got shares in the housebuilder`s company :LOL:

Thanks for all the replies.

We do get a bit of a pong coming from the plug 'ole occasionally if the bath is not used for a few days but it only happens now and again.

I think we can live with it.

Also, the side of the bath was fitted rather poorly, screws were not aligned well at all with appropriate wooden blocks. Again, something I have been able to sort out but a poor job all round. V disappointing!!

Good job you can live with it ...it`s what you get with new build :idea: .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back