bath waste pipe hopper overflowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Looking at other houses in my area, it seems that there should be a hopper below my bath, sink and shower waste pipe, where it exits the outside wall. The previous owner had instead connected this 40mm pipe to a standard down pipe, using silicon seal to fill the mismatch in pipe size. The down pipe goes straight to a gully. The plugholes always smell of drains in the bathroom.

So last week I bought a hopper and installed it below the waste pipe, on the top of the down pipe. The drains smell has now gone away. However, when I empty the bath, the hopper overflows badly. I've checked and it's not blocked.
Is the position where the waste pipe enters into the hopper critical? I could adjust that so it is exactly above the down pipe opening. Or is there anything else I can do?
I got the hopper from Wickes and it is approx 25cm by 8cm. I've seen ones the same size fitted on other houses in the area.
Ta for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
You have a blocked gulley.
The downpipe that goes into the ground which goes into the gulley.

Can you remove the downpipe?
Are there any manholes near by?

Andy

Cheers Andy.

Downpipe is emptying into gulley no problem - it ends just above the grid.
Grey water from dishwasher and washing machine feed into it and also drain no problem.
It just seems like the rate the bath drains is so fast that the hopper can't cope.
There is a manhole about 3 metres away BTW.

So the gulley is draining away and not overflowing.

The hopper only over flows when the bath is emptying?

The problem could be that the waste pipe from the bath that goes into the hopper needs to be extended more into the hopper.

If you could post a picture of the pipe work in the hopper that would help.

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back