Bathroom and kitchen paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I know... There are so many posts on here about this and the general consensus seems to be to go for acrylic eggshell.

Fair enough but is there any reason I should not use acrylic matt, assuming there is such a thing. As I understand it modern eggshell is a bit shiny, although not as shiny as silk. I've seen silk, it just looks nasty to me so I really want to avoid anything but matt if at all possible.

I know matt emulsion is not good for kitchens though due to it being difficult to clean so that must be why people are recommending eggshell but I wonder if an acrylic matt would be more washable than the water based stuff.

Would I be ok using a matt acrylic or would I be better advised to bite the bullet and go for eggshell?

Just how shiny is eggshell anyway?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not try soft Sheen, this is a nice durable surface that canbe wiped over. Not very shiny but has enough PVA in it to be water resistant...to a point. Acrylic is water based like emulsion.

Thanks Robbie...

So if I understand you correctly it's the PVA in the paint which makes it shiny and also waterproof, depending on the amount used, matt having no PVA and therefore not good for damp areas?

I'll have a look at soft sheen then Cheers

:)

If its a contract matt then there will be no PVA in it, this is generally used for new builds as this lets the new plaster breath a bit if there is still moisture in it.....in theory.
Vinyl matt has a bit in to make it slightly more durable, it will look matt but in the light you can see a very slight sheen to it. This is fine for most internal ceilings. Matt will aways look whiter than silk. Soft sheen has a bit more PVA in it and has a very nice sheen to it , not too shiny but quite durable and can be wiped over etc. Silk is a lot more shiny and has even more PVA in it. Vinyl being the "V" in PVA. Hope this clears things up. ;)

Sponsored Links
Take a look at Wilko's FLAT matt kitchen paint. They claim it is 10 times tougher than vinyl matt - and I can guarantee that it is VERY matt. It's great paint.

Had a colour mixed up using Johnson's acrylic paint for my bathroom. They'll do it to any colour! Great paint, very matt and very hardwearing.

Hey, thanks for all that info...

By coincidence I was in my local Wilcos today and found some of their own brand kitchen matt :) Not sure if it's quite the same as the flat matt joe-90 mentioned and I'm too lazy to go and look at the tin just now but it's definitely matt emulsion and 'suitable for all interior areas where moisture is a problem'.

Would I be advised to put this on as it is or to water it slightly? I'll be applying it with a roller directly onto the old existing paint which has been sanded to give a better key.

When I get round to doing the ceiling I'll post back and let you know how it goes on.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back