Bathroom boiler move and ideas/opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for opinions on the best thing to do with the bathroom. Took a house on last year, totally renovated the downstairs after finding allsorts of problems, we've moved in but it's now time to do the bathroom and upstairs.

As you can see it's a small 3m long x 1.5m wide bathroom so I was thinking of getting rid of the cupboard and making the bathroom bigger. This would get rid of the odd alcove in my sons room and also get rid of the window light doorways which have odd sized openings too I'll add and let me have 1 main door on the landing for the bathroom.

Another reason for getting rid of the cupboard is that the boiler is mounted to the thin eggbox wall and resonates through the whole house when running, we've got used to it so not a big problem but would like to move it to the wall at the back of the alcove which would become the bathroom and be in a built in cupboard for access OR move it to the attic directly above, need opinions on this especially.

The soil vent pipe could be moved roughly 500mm to the right too if needed as can be reconnected in the attic. Plastic water tank in attic is redundant and empty as on thr combi now.

I've attached pictures to hopefully give you all an idea. Would be doing the work myself as pretty competent but obviously not the boiler move or the gas line move. Would a gas engineer be happy for me to do the hot/cold/feed/return lines for water & central heating or do they usually like to do all the water connections themselves? As I've replaced all the rads and most of the pipework anyway last year.

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions and ideas appreciated!
1000016129.jpg
1000016130.jpg
1000016131.jpg
1000016135.jpg

Sponsored Links
Would likely cost the same either way. You either need to pay them for one visit to do all the work, or two visits - one to do the flue, gas, and hanging the boiler on the wall, and one to do the commissioning

That wall between airing cupboard and bathroom is surely load bearing, can't just knock it down I'm afraid.

Can you move the boiler downstairs? I have my heat only boiler in my loft with the hot water tank downstairs and no problems but a friend of mine has his his combi boiler in his loft and it takes so long for the hot water to reach the kitchen tap that they often wash up with cold water.

Sponsored Links
That wall between airing cupboard and bathroom is surely load bearing, can't just knock it down I'm afraid.
I'm certain it isn't but I will check, it's just a hollow paramount partition/egg box wall. No studs in it whatsoever.

Can you move the boiler downstairs? I have my heat only boiler in my loft with the hot water tank downstairs and no problems but a friend of mine has his his combi boiler in his loft and it takes so long for the hot water to reach the kitchen tap that they often wash up with cold water.
It would be possible but would need all the pipe runs added in and it's a single story extension on the front that was added years ago where it'd go so pipes would have to go up into roof space and across into the house, flue cored through etc. It's a tiny 3 bed if that makes any difference...

I'm certain it isn't but I will check, it's just a hollow paramount partition/egg box wall. No studs in it whatsoever.
See the hole in your pic now. Would have thought there would be some support under that water tank.

See the hole in your pic now. Would have thought there would be some support under that water tank.
Surprisingly not a lot, its sat on a board over two roof trusses, I assume it was in use till around 2017 when combi was fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back