Bathroom electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are having a radiator fitted into our bathroom making the wall-mounted fan heater redundant.

We also have a condensation problem (possibly caused by the lack of heating).

Can we install a humidity controlled extractor fan using the power supply from the old fan heater?

If the existing wiring will not quite reach then will the whole wire have to be replaced rather than just extended?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
I don't see any problem in using that supply for the extractor fan. However you would need to give more information in relation to how the power enters the bathroom. Was the original unit supplied via an FCU flush mounted with the wall perhaps? There is generally no problem in extending cable provided it is properly enclosed. Although strictly speaking it is always better to replace the entire cable. There are also possible issues in relation to zones but more information is needed.

From the extractors that I have seen even the Humidity controlled ones are still wired up as well to the light switch so they come on and off when you switch the light on, they will then overrun as well.

If you want to use the existing supply you will probably need to change the fuse as a wall heater will draw more than fan.

If your unsure get a professional. The vent axia site has lot of info ex-plaining how to install etc.

They do not have to be wired to the light. It may not be fesiable in this case. I do not like "adding" extra apperatus to lighting circuits unless it is very light and as a radial circuit already exists here it is the obvious solution. Fuse? Thats why I want to know how the supply enters. FCU etc.

Sponsored Links
The supply cable actually comes from a wall-mounted isolating switch in the adjoining kitchen.

Whats an FCU?

An FCU is a fused connection unit. It is normally the same size as a single socket and is fitted to a standard back box. The cable supplying you fan would be connected to this. Standard plug top fuses are used in it. When the cable enters the bathroom does it come through a back box? (The metal or plastic box to which a socket or light switch is fitted.) Is the proposed new run of cable going to be surface mounted or the wall chased?

The cable just comes through the partition wall behind some woodwork. The FCU is actually part of the switch in the kitchen.

The new cable will be surface mounted within plastic conduit.

Ok, well provided you have an FCU in the kitchen this should be fine. I would advice that you fit a surface back box in the bathroom where the old cable come through and fit a blanking plate over it. Cut the cable and join the new length here using connector blocks then simply run the new length of cable through the plastic conduit to the proposed site of the new fan. What type of conduit do you intend using. There are really three options:
1. Rectangular conduit - the same as what is used in wall to supply switches and sockets. - I would not recommend this as it looks untidy and is difficult to bring around a corner etc.

2. 20mm circular conduit - looks well if fitted correctly using correct fittings and properly clipped to the wall.

3. Mini trunking - probably the easiest option and looks neat.

See pictures below of 1. FCU (several different designs are available) 2. Blanking plate 3. back box

5777_l.jpg

77759_l.jpg

1373_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back