Bathroom extractor and lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking at getting 6 spotlights and an extractor fitted in my bathroom. It's approx 2.5Mx2.8M with a shower over the bath (off the taps).

Would one of the extractors with light built in be suitable over the shower end of the bath, or would I be better off going for a separate extractor (other end of the bath on the external wall?

Finally could anyone give me a ballpark for supply and fit of this (loft access above) - I've had two quotes so far (without seeing the job) of £150 and £550 - but was just interested to see what you guys and gals thought.

Thanks in advance,
Graham

Sponsored Links
The combo fan/lights are designed to be fitted over bath/showers as the electric bit is removed from the bath/shower area.
IMHO its best to have the extract where the steam is located.

Impossible to say if quotes are reasonable without seeing it and we dont like talking quotes on this public forum (see forum rules).

Remember that this work is notifiable so make sure that your chosen sparky is resistered to self certify his own work (see if she/he is listed at www.competentperson.co.uk). The quote should include cost of notification and make sure you get a certificate for the work that has been done.

the combination and low-voltage ones seem a bit weedy to me. A shower makes a lot of steam.

if you put the extractor directly above the bath or shower, it has to be better protected against water, so is either more expensive or not as good as an ordinary fan.

However if you have loft space above, there are some good in-line ducted fans, not cheap, but very effective.

For a straightforward effective and economical solution, a centrifugal fan near the ceiling, venting straight through the wall, and wired to switch on every time the light is switched on, is a good solution. Water vapour is lighter than air so will rise up to the ceiling. You need a bit of a gap under the door for dry air to enter from the house and allow the fan to work.

Centrifugal fans are generally more powerful and quieter than axial fans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back