Bathroom extractor fan question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 6 years ago installed a bathroom extractor fan which packed up last week, so I bought a "smart" one, with over-run of up to 30 minutes and humidity check.

I took the old one out and found 3 wires:
- yellow
- blue
- brown

the new fan has 3 x terminals:
- T
- N
- L

If I connect:
- yellow on T
- blue on N
- brown on L
I get the fan to run all the time, without stopping

If I switch brown with yellow, the fan will start when I pull the ceiling light cord and turn off as soon as I turn off the ceiling light.

What I want is that it fan starts when I pull ceiling light on and continues for 15-20 minutes AFTER I pull light off. I have used the internal fan settings to increase the timing, to no avail.

Do I do something wrong or it can also be maybe that I set the humidity level too low and as we are in UK and humidity is maybe at 60% lets say, I should try somehow to turn this to a higher setting?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn the humidistat up to maximum until you get it working.

The relative humidity in Guildford at the moment is 80%.

What make and model is the new one?
What make and model was the old one? Was it a timer fan?
Did you make a note of which conductors went to which terminals on the old one?

Yellow blue and brown are not standard colours.

Older 3 core cables were red blue and yellow. Is this cable two core and earth or 3 core and earth?

Do you have an AC voltage test device (NOT a neon screwdriver)?

New one was bought from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201081600903?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT - I think it is made in Poland, had good reviews.

Old one was a timer fan yes, but I dont know the model, and it does not write anywhere on it.

Yes I made a note, it also had 3 terminals, one L, one N, and another one with no marking (!!) the brown was to L, blue to N and yellow to the un-marked one.

I know yellow,brown and blue are not standard, the fact is that yellow is actually in a earth sleeving (!!) but it does not seem to be earth. It must have been live or switched live as the other fan worked on over-run. I have ONLY these coming out, as the hole is made into tiles, so dont know whats behind.

I dont have an AC voltage test.

Thanks, I thought it was a simple replace job...

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I dont have an AC voltage test.

With what you have described you need on and also a meter that can measure continuity.

I thought it was a simple replace job...
Schoolboy error, things are often not as simple as we think!

You need to test that you have a perm live, a switch live, a neutral and you should also have an earth/CPC at the fan, even if the fan does not require or have a terminal for this.
Once we can confirm what the conductors do and we have continuity, then we can then start to terminate correctly.

THANKS TO ALL FOR THEIR ANSWERS, BUT PARTICULARLY TO EFLImpudence, THE PROBLEM WAS INDEED THE HUMIDISTAT, I TURNED IT UP AND SUDDENLY THE TIMER WORKED A TREAT, SO I AM ALL SORTED OUT

ADRIAN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back