Bathroom Extractor Fan (timer) without connecting to light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read loads of post about wiring extractor fans to come on when the light is swich on...

However, I want to
1. Put a simple on/off switch (FCU) outside the bathroom door and
2. Connect from a socket ring instead of the lighting ring
3. Have a timer fan so I can switch it off at the FCU and it continues to run for a set time.

How do I get a permanent live feed using the FCU fed via the socket ring?

thanks

Sponsored Links
to have it on timer, it MUST be connected to a lighting circuit, or it wont come on with the light. you'll also need a 3 pole isolator outside the bathroom. in the light, connect 1 wire to the neutral, 1 to the switched live and one to the permanent live.

to do it the way you want, youll need 2 FCU. 1 for the permanent live and one for the switched live. just out it on the lighting circuit

best soloution (although not the cheapest)

fit a 3 module grid unit

one double pole switch to isolate the whole arrangement
one fuse for overcurrent protection
one single pole switch to control the switched live of teh fan for timer function

you could achive the same with a seperate SFCU and switch but i think the grid box is neater

andrew2022 said:
to have it on timer, it MUST be connected to a lighting circuit, or it wont come on with the light. you'll also need a 3 pole isolator outside the bathroom. in the light, connect 1 wire to the neutral, 1 to the switched live and one to the permanent live.

Andrew, sorry I wasn't very clear. I don't want the light to come on at all. I have a window in my bathroom and often shower with the light off. I just want a simple switch for the fan. Just wasn't sure about the permanent live?

Sponsored Links
wiggyboy said:
Andrew, sorry I wasn't very clear. I don't want the light to come on at all. I have a window in my bathroom and often shower with the light off. I just want a simple switch for the fan. Just wasn't sure about the permanent live?

in that case best use plugs idea of the grid switch

plugwash said:
best soloution (although not the cheapest)

fit a 3 module grid unit

one double pole switch to isolate the whole arrangement
one fuse for overcurrent protection
one single pole switch to control the switched live of teh fan for timer function

you could achive the same with a seperate SFCU and switch but i think the grid box is neater

OK sorry but just really getting upto speed on this, is a 3 module grid unit just a unit with 2 switches and a fuse?

yes, but the main switch MUST be double pole

thats brilliant, thanks guys.....just one problem, where to source the drid unit?
:rolleyes:

Wow, sounds neat. However, are these units easy to wire up. I take it that 2-pole switch comes first (from the supply), then the fuse then the single switch. Yes?

From the fan do I connect the permanent live pre or post fuse? It makes sense to connect to the 2 pole switch but that bypasses the fuse for the permanent live...? (i think). Getting there, but still a bit unsure.

all modules are seperate from a wiring point of view you just treat them as seperate accessories that happen to be in one box

[code:1]
mains fan
L-. .--fuse----------L
| | |
dp switch sp switch
| | |
N-' | '--------SL
|
'----------------N
[/code:1]

the DP switch turns off the whole assembly (for maintinance or when you just want the fan off instantly)

the SP switch turns off the SL feed to the fan to allow the fan to stop on its timer

you have a T+E in, and T+E out.

connect the in T+E to the DP switch. from here connect the neutral to the 3 core. connect the live to the fuse, and from the fuse 1 wire to the 3 core (permanent live) and link the fuse to the switch. from the switch to the fan as switched live

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back