Bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I say bathroom, it's just a room with a toilet in so not technically a bathroom.. but i will be installing an extractor fan in order to give the small room some ventilation and airflow when required.

I still haven't decided between SELV or 240v yet, but either way will I require an isolation switch to be installed near the fan or is it ok without one?

also, am I ok connecting the extractor fan up to the lighting circuit?

Sponsored Links
the room does not have a fixed shower or bath so it is not a bathroom. No need for SELV. None of the installation should be where it can get wet or splashed.

it will need an isolator for maintenance

you can run it off the lighting circuit. My preference is to have it wired so it comes on with the light. As it is not a bathroom it probably does not need a delay timer.

Hire a core drill to make a neat round hole through the wall for the duct. Hire one with a clutch so it will not spin you off your ladder if it jams.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,

There is an existing ventilation hole in the wall which has an old iron grill on the inside and an airbrick on the exterior, so I intend to use this and feed some ducting towards the airbrick. No need for drilling.

it's a window's height above the cistern so i think it's pretty splash proof. I could do with a fan that stays on for a few minutes after being switched. I rigged our bathroom one up to come on with the light, as the chance of you needing it will be on dark cold mornings when in the shower... but the toilet s used throughout the day so was thinking about having one on sensor. still undecided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back