Bathroom Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All.
I have moved into a flat that doesnt have an extractor fan or an air brick at all.
It has an electric shower.

The bathroom is quite small and has a window.

I noticed for the past few days while it has been cold that their is a lot of humidity and condensation after showering so looking at getting an extractor fan.

Because it is a flat i have no cavity above the cieling.

There is a window, and an outside wall i can make a whole in.
What type of fan do you recommend?

The solution cant be expensive as the flat needs a lot of money spent on it and i am working on a tight budget.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will there be any issues getting permission from the Management Company to put a hole in the wall?

If the window opens then there is no need for a fan.

If it does not open then yes should be fan, however must have independent way to switch it on not only the lights.

Any perpetration (hole) will need to not weaken the building so as already stated you will likely need permission.

Also there is an issue with fans and open flues and open flue does not just mean a fire in a grate even a gas water heater in kitchen can be classed as open flue.

I found this advert "Most people think that extractor fans have to be in the wall, This is not true! Ask glass offer the service of fitting extractor fans into double glazing and double glazed units." that may be your answer.

It comes under Part F of the building regulations although where open flues are used then also so reference in Part J but as far as I know these are not retrospective so only apply to new builds but all are free down loads so you can read yourself.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Will there be any issues getting permission from the Management Company to put a hole in the wall?

I have asked them, they said they will get back to me.

If the window opens then there is no need for a fan.

If it does not open then yes should be fan, however must have independent way to switch it on not only the lights.

Any perpetration (hole) will need to not weaken the building so as already stated you will likely need permission.

Also there is an issue with fans and open flues and open flue does not just mean a fire in a grate even a gas water heater in kitchen can be classed as open flue.

I found this advert "Most people think that extractor fans have to be in the wall, This is not true! Ask glass offer the service of fitting extractor fans into double glazing and double glazed units." that may be your answer.

It comes under Part F of the building regulations although where open flues are used then also so reference in Part J but as far as I know these are not retrospective so only apply to new builds but all are free down loads so you can read yourself.

I dont like the idea of opening the window, especially because the window faces into the main car park, and the window is directly outside the bath / shower.

Also it would mean all the heat escapes in winter.

Does this mean i will need planning permission as well to put the extractor in?

Ideally i don't want to put it in the window, although as a last resort i will have to.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Also it would mean all the heat escapes in winter.
That's life
It is the warm moist air that you want to remove.

Fans are not magic.
The air they blow out has to be replaced from somewhere outside the house even if it comes through the letter box so it will be as cold as outside.
If there is no cold air entering somewhere then the fan won't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back