Bathroom Extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of fitting an extractor fan in the bathroom which was previously fully tiled, including over the air brick, so no ventilation or extraction.

I intend to vent the extractor through the cavity of the air brick (rectangular) but was looking for some advice as to if I should seal around the fan exhaust (cylindrical) blocking the rest of the cavity of the air brick, so when the fan is not running (humidity and timer settings, can also be switched manually) the air brick would be sealed so no back ventilation as the fan has a shutter. just thinking forward for the winter as I don't really want a breeze blowing through when it is cold although difficult to think of this in the sunshine.

So essentially fitting a rectangular cover over the rectangular cavity of the air brick with just a hole for the fan exhaust.

Thanks in advance

Allan

Sponsored Links
Remove the air brick, install the fan and brick around it.

Your fan needs a duct to conduct the damp air to outside - where there should be a louvre flap to prevent draughts. You can cut a hole in your air brick if you like, but it can be awkward!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Remove the air brick, install the fan and brick around it.

Or remove the airbrick, brick it up then core drill it 104 or 128 mm core drill, connect as usual, but of course, ensure you dont need the airbrick first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back