Bathroom Fan 240V with pull cord in Zone 1?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new fan for my bathroom as the original is getting noisy. The existing one is sited over the end of the bath (Zone 1) as my house is a 60's build the bathroom window occupies 90% of the outside wall the only real wall is at the end of the bath.

I had intended to purchase an SELV fan as a replacement. However I spotted this yesterday. It's a 240V fan with a pull cord. According to the packaging its rated at IPX4 and designated suitable for Zone 1. I also found it on the web.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Extractor-Fan-with-Pull-Cord/invt/199797

If it's suitable it will be perfect as a straight replacement, and a lot less £ than an SELV with transformer and as a like for like swap not notifiable to my LABC, (circuit is RCD protected) but at 240V with a pull cord :eek: I'm worried there's some sort of mistake. Any comments?

Sponsored Links
You are allowed 240V equipment such as fans,showers and lights in zone 1 as long as protected by an RCD, (and you could in the 16th, too)

But you should also have an isolator for the fan, and if its a run on timer tyope then this will need to be triple pole, which can be pull cord or plate switch.

It doesn't have a run on timer. There's an FCU for it with 3A fuse outside of the bathroom as it's fed from the 32A ring, for the RCD protection. (CU was replaced about 8 years ago so no RCD for lighting circuits) How do I know if the FCU isolates both poles?

No problem then with a 240V fan designated IPX4 having a pull cord being in Zone 1 then? Other threads seem to suggest to me that a pull cord in reach of the bath is not acceptable.

If its rated at IP44 then I would say its ok.

You cant have switch gear in zone1 unless its selv, but if the switch is integral to the fan then its ok, as it would be for a luminaire with a pull swittch.

And yes, an FCU is double pole.

Sponsored Links
If it's switched! (obviously, but I thought I'd mention it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back