Bathroom Fan Installation Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be installing a bathroom fan hopefully in a few days and was hoping for some advice regarding the wiring.

In regards to the wiring can some please explain how best to do this.

I have a pull cord switch for the bathroom light and next to it will install the fan isolated switch and fan will be further along the same wall.

Do I route a cable from the light switch to the fan isolator and another from the isolater to the fan?

Another question I have is if the fan is dependant on light then how does it continue to even work after the light is off?

Sponsored Links
You normally have to wire up a fan that works independently of a light with three core so you have a permanent live that either a timer or humidity stat uses. It would help if "we" knew the fan you intend to install - also how far is the fan sited with regards to your bath/shower? Photo might help

Here's the fan I wish to install

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-14-23-28-01.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-14-23-28-01.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 124
Do I route a cable from the light switch to the fan isolator and another from the isolater to the fan?
You may not have a neutral available at the existing pull-cord switch, in which case no, you can't just take power for the fan from that point.

Consider also if you really do want the fan to come on every time you switch the light on anyway. A completely separate switch is much more versatile and avoids needlessly running the fan for however many minutes when you just pop into the bathroom for a moment at night.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure it will come with instructions, but if you want to see them in advance, why not try the Manrose website?

Failing that http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=manrose+xf100t+(installation+OR+wiring)+instructions

Note that it is quite possible (tending towards certain as the age of your house increases) that there will be no neutral at the light switch, so you may need to take the feed from the light itself.

I take it you have thought about whether you always want the fan to come on whenever the light is turned on, and/or whether you want to have to turn the light on if you want the fan to run?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm open to consideration. It's probably best to have it connected with the light as this would prevent it being left on unnecessarily when some one forgot to turn it off.

I definitely have a black a red at the light. Why would there be no neutral anyway?

Did you mean switch and not light?

Neutral is the name given to the conductor which completes the circuit from the load back to the supply.

It is not the name of black (or blue) wires.

Wires can be anything we want them to be; they do not know what colour they are.

I definitely have a black a red at the light. Why would there be no neutral anyway?
If you do actually mean the switch, and not the light, then it's because there's no need to have a neutral at a simple switch. If all you have at the switch is a single cable with red & black going to the switch and nothing else (except an earth), then you do not have a neutral there and will need to get your feed from somewhere else.

As said, it matters if you mean light or switch. There will be a neutral at the light, traditionally not one at the switch.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

Just want to say a massive thank you to all of you.
I will hopefully be reading through this tonight but will maybe attempt to fit over the weekend or maybe next.

I'm fairly competent and can normally turn my hand to many things but just need some guidance along the way when attempting something new and this is one of them task.

Thanks guys

I'm fairly competent and can normally turn my hand to many things
Well - with a bit of learning there'll be one more thing you can turn your hand to.

DIY electrical work is different from most other DIY work in a crucial way. If you do some plumbing, or decorating, or joinery, and you mess up, you might get a leak, or paint runs, or wrinkles in your wallpaper, or slightly crooked shelves, or a door that sticks a bit. If you mess up with electrics you might get death.

Yes I totally get that and apply plenty caution when attempting anything new especially electrics.

I'm definitely willing to learn...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back