Bathroom Fan Isolator switch?

No, if there was no local isolator you turn it off at the CU, disconnect the fan, switch CU back on, brush teeth. Simples!

Is the average home owner going to have the required step ladder, a voltage indicator, set of screwdrivers, strip connectors and the knowledge to safely disconnect the fan in the dark?

I certainly wouldn’t want my almost blind 74 year old mother attempting this when alternatively she could just turn a switch off.

Sponsored Links
I can’t think of a single reason why you would want to not have a fan isolator even if it only gets used once every 10 years.
As I said, I do have them. I was merely indicating that it is essentially a matter of personal choice for an individual to decide whether they feel that a need for it once every X years (whatever they perceived X to be) is enough to make it 'worthwhile'.

Speaking personally, and recalling what JohnD said about the fans, I have some light fittings out of which I like to clear the 'dust' (more often, dead flies and moths etc!) far more often than I do the same with fans, yet it has not occurred to me to provide each with a separate isolator.

Regards, John

I don’t suppose the chance of injuring your self on fan blades whizzing round is as high when cleaning a light.

Is the average home owner going to have the required step ladder, a voltage indicator, set of screwdrivers, strip connectors and the knowledge to safely disconnect the fan in the dark? I certainly wouldn’t want my almost blind 74 year old mother attempting this when alternatively she could just turn a switch off.
Nor would I, if I had a 74-year old mother, even if she had good eyesight (although I am moving more rapidly towards that age myself than I would like, so maybe I shouldn't do it, either :) )

However, maybe some electricians could do with some education from you because, I suspect primarily for their own convenience, they often seem to install these things in places where your mother would probably still need the step ladder, even if not the other tools!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don’t suppose the chance of injuring your self on fan blades whizzing round is as high when cleaning a light.
I'm sure it is (a lot higher) but I was thinking of electrical hazards, which may also exist in a light fitting. I suppose you must be thinking of your faulty fan which won't stop - something which, as I said, I've never personally encountered (not whizzing around is the usual problem!) ?

Kind Regards, John

Nor would I, if I had a 74-year old mother, even if she had good eyesight (although I am moving more rapidly towards that age myself than I would like, so maybe I shouldn't do it, either :) )

However, maybe some electricians could do with some education from you because, I suspect primarily for their own convenience, they often seem to install these things in places where your mother would probably still need the step ladder, even if not the other tools!

Kind Regards, John

She can whack a switch with a broom handle if it’s out of arms reach.

Just like the fireman switch is mounted at a height where it can be operated by a policeman holding a truncheon.

No, if there was no local isolator you turn it off at the CU, disconnect the fan, switch CU back on, brush teeth. Simples!

Flicking an isolator OFF is much simpler,

But then a well informed person like you would have everything in place to make "" turn off at the CU, disconnect the fan, switch CU back on "" a simple process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back