Bathroom Fan power Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if someone could give me some ideas how to solve our fan requirement.

Have a fan which, when the flats were built (60's or 70's), was wired to the light switch and then wires buried into the concrete ceiling.
So turn light on, fan comes on. Light off, fan goes off.

But this is not sufficient extraction. Our bathroom has no windows i.e limited ventilation which as you will all know leads to condensation/moisture and then mould just to start.
We want to fit a humidistat type.

But.. how to get around the problem that regardless of what we do fit the fan only has power when lights on.

So it looks like we have to go all the way back to the light switch to pick up power then route another set of cable around the bathroom. Ugly and not desirable.

Is there something out there that someone manufactures to overcome this problem. Is there any alternative options. We have a dehumidifier but in a small area its all a bit clunky, we'd ideally like the wall extractor fan to work harder for its keep. Yes we could leave lights on but better to just have power at the fan.

thank you

PG

Sponsored Links
It's quite likely the cable runs in conduit. Have a look.

Hi,
I wonder if someone could give me some ideas how to solve our fan requirement.

Have a fan which, when the flats were built (60's or 70's), was wired to the light switch and then wires buried into the concrete ceiling.
So turn light on, fan comes on. Light off, fan goes off.

But this is not sufficient extraction. Our bathroom has no windows i.e limited ventilation which as you will all know leads to condensation/moisture and then mould just to start.
We want to fit a humidistat type.

But.. how to get around the problem that regardless of what we do fit the fan only has power when lights on.

So it looks like we have to go all the way back to the light switch to pick up power then route another set of cable around the bathroom. Ugly and not desirable.

Is there something out there that someone manufactures to overcome this problem. Is there any alternative options. We have a dehumidifier but in a small area its all a bit clunky, we'd ideally like the wall extractor fan to work harder for its keep. Yes we could leave lights on but better to just have power at the fan.

thank you

PG
Change the fan for a more efficient model . Humidistats are switched by moisture , you need the fan running to avoid moisture build up , not wait till it’s running down the walls .

Sponsored Links
An even easier solution would be to fit an LED lightbulb (which costs next to nothing to run) and just leave it on.

If your existing fan is noisy, ineffective or costly to run, we can suggest better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back