bathroom fan wired in with lights is my diagram correct

mini2 said:
just found out:

the lights i am installing into the bathroom are 240v spot lights but have found out that my fan is 12v

Hope they are suitable for the zones they are being installed in.

so do i need to get a special transformer so i can make the fan come on with the lights remembering the lights are 240 and fan is 12v

Tell you what. I have no desire to embarrass you, but why don't you tell us what you think needs to be done, based on the knowledge you have gleaned so far. Then we'll put you right if need be.

Sponsored Links
Put 12V lamps into the bathroom - you know it makes sense in a selv way !

the light connection

4 cables (three twin & earths and one three core and earth)

all browns together

then four blues together ( N in, N out and N to fan and N to lights)

switched live from switch (blue with brn tape/sleeving) to fan switched live and lights feed.

to connect lights (in your case) take the twin from each of your trannys to the joint box and connect it in as detilaed above (you will have to connect N to N and transformer browns to S/L)

all earths common

when you use new colours in a three core and earth the cores should be used as follows

brown - live
black - switched live (sleeved with brown)
grey - neutral (sleeved blue)

the earths should always be connected to the circuit (even with selv lights) but terminated at the joint box supplying each tranny
selv lights should never be connected to earth (on the secondary side)

this is to get people out of the habit of using black as a neutral.

crafty1289 said:
you expect us to understand that diagram mini2?
mini2 said:
yup

i guess you cant..
bathroom1

The only reasonable reaction is "Nope, can't understand it". That's because it clearly shows brown wires joined to blue, and a connection that makes the switch do nothing. I doubt that was what you intended, so no - I for one do not understand your drawing.

BTW - what's with the bizarre mix of harmonised and non-harmonised colours?

baldelectrician said:
Put 12V lamps into the bathroom - you know it makes sense in a selv way !

the light connection

4 cables (three twin & earths and one three core and earth)

all browns together

then four blues together ( N in, N out and N to fan and N to lights)

switched live from switch (blue with brn tape/sleeving) to fan switched live and lights feed.

to connect lights (in your case) take the twin from each of your trannys to the joint box and connect it in as detilaed above (you will have to connect N to N and transformer browns to S/L)

all earths common

when you use new colours in a three core and earth the cores should be used as follows

brown - live
black - switched live (sleeved with brown)
grey - neutral (sleeved blue)

the earths should always be connected to the circuit (even with selv lights) but terminated at the joint box supplying each tranny
selv lights should never be connected to earth (on the secondary side)

this is to get people out of the habit of using black as a neutral.

thank you very much..

yes they are appropiate for the bathroom..it is "ip rated"

so you got the feed coming in (1 t+e)
loop feed(1 t+e)
switch line(1 t+e)
and then 3core for fan isolator and then to fan

thank you very much

Sponsored Links
To be fair, Ban, the reds are just lines pointing to the browns and labelling them.

The blues are not connected to the browns, rather they disappear. That is I'm sure is what was intended, anyway.

securespark said:
To be fair, Ban, the reds are just lines pointing to the browns and labelling them.
What about the use of red & blue sleeving?

The blues are not connected to the browns, rather they disappear. That is I'm sure is what was intended, anyway.
The whole point of wiring diagrams is to remove all ambiguity about what was "intended". If his diagram was followed exactly then the blues would end up joined to the browns, for that is what it shows.

Of course it can't be wired like that, hence my comment about it not being understandable. If people are going to try to understand it by imposing what they think he meant, how can they be sure that they are guessing his intentions accurately?

And if those two blues from the rightmost two terminals of the neutral block are just "disappearing", what are we to make of the one running between the brown live to the switch and the blue switched live from it? If that's just a wire that appears and then disappears, without making any connection to anything else in the diagram, why is it shown in the first place?

And don't get me started on how someone 2 years into an apprenticeship can think that's what a diagram should look like...

That's better.

Another thing you could do - if you are a "Full or part-time student aged five or over enrolled on a course that will deliver an academic qualification publicly recognised by the Department for Education & Skills (DfES) or the Irish Department of Education (DOE). " then you qualify for a student licence price for Microsoft Office of just under £90, vs about £300 for the normal price. It includes Powerpoint, which is much better for diagrams....

ban-all-sheds said:
That's better.

Another thing you could do - if you are a "Full or part-time student aged five or over enrolled on a course that will deliver an academic qualification publicly recognised by the Department for Education & Skills (DfES) or the Irish Department of Education (DOE). " then you qualify for a student licence price for Microsoft Office of just under £90, vs about £300 for the normal price. It includes Powerpoint, which is much better for diagrams....

thank you

but no need for the cheek mate

but i'll find out about microsoft office and powerpoint..i always fort powerpoint(which i use in college) we normally use it for presentations.

your new diagram looks a lot clearer

what i suggest you do ( i'ts up to you but that's how I started), is get a little black notebook (for work and without ladies phone numbers in it!!)

draw neat diagrams of standard circuits and keep them in the book for reference.

use it for other work related notes - engineer codes for alarms etc.

you can refer to them when needed.

also get a copy of the onsite guide.

good luck, and keep asking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back