Bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom fan which comes on when I switch on the light with a pull cord. The fan goes off about 2 mins after the light is switched off.
Now the fan does not go off. The bulb is also intermittently flashing when it's switched off.
I've had this problem a couple of times before and I appeared to fix it by manipulating the contacts in the bulb socket then replacing the bulb (screw fit) and it worked. But this time nothing is working.
I don't know whether this is a faulty switch or light or fan.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I have a bathroom fan which comes on when I switch on the light with a pull cord. The fan goes off about 2 mins after the light is switched off.
Now the fan does not go off. The bulb is also intermittently flashing when it's switched off.
Which would suggest that there is a problem with your switched live either at your light switch or your fan itself - possibly a loose wire from your description. I would check all the wires at the ceiling rose and the fan itself.

Does the light fitting have an energy saving bulb? Do you have the same problem if you swap it for a standard tungsten bulb?

Sometimes there is enough capacitive coupling in the cables to make energy saving bulbs flash as you described, and this could also confuse the fan timer.
HTH, Brian.

Sponsored Links
Brian, You're a genius. Problem solved.
This has been driving me nuts for days.
I was not looking forward to stripping the fan to bits especially as I had a feeling that this was something very simple.
You've proved the point.
Bloody energy saving bulbs!!!
Very many thanks.
Best wishes and Happy Christmas to you and the others for their suggestions.
David

Brian, You're a genius. Problem solved.
This has been driving me nuts for days.
I was not looking forward to stripping the fan to bits especially as I had a feeling that this was something very simple.
You've proved the point.
Bloody energy saving bulbs!!!
Very many thanks.
Best wishes and Happy Christmas to you and the others for their suggestions.
David

Nice to see someone get a result and state their joy. Goodwill to all (etc)..

Aw shucks, just a lucky guess really :oops:

Have a good Christmas and New Year David, and everyone else too,
Brian.

I will, if the eyedrops every 2 hours for conjunctivitis and the 1500mg/day of antibiotics for a chest infection kick in OK.... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back