Bathroom floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitting out the bathroom, currently totally empty, yet to tile walls/floor etc.

Now the floorboards (18mm) aint the best so instead of using 12mm ply on top of them, was thinking of ripping them up and using 25mm WBP ply as a new floor.

Heres the barrage of Q's:

Would this be viable as in my eyes, one decent floor is better than putting good over bad?

Are there any things to think of if I go down this route? I think I'd buy it in 8x4 sheets and cut to correct board widths (making sure no joins are by the shower/toilet/sink.

I presume I jsut seal the underside and any edges, can I use PVA for this or do I use a specific acrylic sealer? I know PVA usually gets a big NOOOOO from you guys :)

Also I presume this ply can easily be cut with a jigsaw? Or would you suggest getting the wood merchant to cut to size for me?

I've seen 2x types of this WBP ply, softwood and hardwood, some dont even mention which type they sell, does this matter, or do I need a specific one for the job?

Also if anyone could recommend specific screws for this job sizes or order code plz, preferably from screwfix, I'd be grateful - someone told me to get the screws with the thread all the way to the head, dunno if that's right.

I know there will be a lip for the threshold but will still be lower than the 18mm floorboards and 12mm ply.

If anyone knows a better way to do this please let me know.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the waffling, its a trait of mine :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back