Bathroom Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking for some advise

We are currently renovating our bathroom and we are trying to decide what flooring to have done, ideally i would love to have ceramic tiles as they are clean looking and smart.

My partner spoke to a friend at work and he said because we currently have floor boards down and the bathroom is upstairs ceramic tiles would be to heavy.

I would be grateful of any advise, as you know us ladies don't stop till we get what we want he he he

Thanks

S J W

Sponsored Links
You will either need to overlay your floorboards with at least 12mm WBP ply/ tilebacker or take them up completely and replace with 25mm ply. You will then be able to tile with no problems unless you have very undersized joists.

Jason

You can tile straight over the boards if you screw them down and use flexible adhesive.
The weight is neither here nor there.

joe

Overlaying Ply is best option (min 12mm altho Architect building std min is really 15mm). While standard Ply Ok, Marine ply is the best for bathroom. Then PVA the Ply, and use a one part 'Flexible ' adhesive and of course a flexi grout.
Most tilers are uncomfortable tiling direct onto extra screwed down floorboards as the movement inevitably starts to increase over time. There are products you can use if you really want to take the risk, such as Ultimate Flex (which is a very rubbery flexi adhesive). Nevertheless, adhere to the instructions carefully & do not be surprised if you need to relay one or two tiles in the future

Sponsored Links
I've done this type of job on a number of occasions. If your floorboards are relatively flat to begin with, you can get away with 3mm hardboard tacked to the existing floorboards. Then, just tile over. The weight as previously said is negligible.

Austin.

Alternatively you could have a look at amtico flooring. The tile finish looks very effective. And don't be put off by comparisons to cheap laminate boarding. This stuffs high quality and has to be professionally fitted.

http://www.amtico.com/home/whats_new.asp

Mind you, its pretty pricey! (~£100 sq mtr)

One of my neighbours has Amtico, I know it's expensive, but to me it just looks like a hard plastic imitation of wood and tiles. What's the attraction?

I think it looks pretty good and feels better under foot. I'm also put off by the size of the step for a ceramic floor (after ply, adhesive + tile). I think Karndean looks plastic but the Amtico I've seen looks really effective.

I overcame the difference in floor levels (exacerbated by the one of the rooms being an extension) by making up a threshold strip with a nice piece of oak suitably rebated on the underside to mask the difference. No-one has yet commented on the difference.

hiya :) Sarah J W..
IMHO
accept advice here ;)
or do the job right ..lol

take up board ....

then replace with "18" mm wbp/marine ply on joists that have been strengthened with noggins an the whole wood substrate (underneath base ) treated with wood preserve liberally ,
then ply down an scewed at 200 centres marking floor of pipes /cables before hand ,
then put down underfloor heating in electric form or wet form ,
tile over with BAL MARINE TILING SYSTEM,or part flex mud /adhesive mix , an BAL FLEXGROUT, or flex grout ,
allowing on the tile design for expansion joints at edges no more than 3mm filled with sealant NOT GROUT !!!

if shower wet area , get it tanked with BAL WP1 TANKING SYSTEM, brilliant stuff to work with ..
BEFORE TILING !
Hope this helps ....

regarding step , a piece of ply plained ,

if any of my bathroom fitters were more than 12mm,before the ply shim ...
I would SACK the crew ... no questions ...FACT ..

I aint no1 in Manchester for nothing ...lol ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back