Bathroom installation - building regs query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am looking for some high level advise on relevant building regs with the attached thoughts (see image) to install a small bathroom upstairs in our terraced house. My query is predominantly around:

(1) minimum width of corridors (I have assumed 0.8m)
(2) fire regulations and whether Option (2) is possible as a 'room off a room' without a corridor through the bedroom to the stairs (option 3).
(3) general thoughts on the size of the rooms!

Thanks for your advise!

P View media item 65355

Sponsored Links
Option two might be the better way, except that no-one could get in or out of the middle bedroom unless they were prepared to climb in through the window.

Ah yes I've missed off the door there!

Out of interest why do you think option is the better way?

Thanks

Err is this a trick question? If you go for Op 1 you gotta walk through a bedroom to get to the bathroom/end bedroom.

Sponsored Links
You might want to consider a sliding door to reduce the opening space needed in the bathroom. What are you wanting in there, just a loo or a shower? Any of your neighbours come up with a design you can use already?

Edit: I see its a full on bathroom?

Well my preference would be option 1 (with or without the chimney breast removed). Mainly because (a) we already have another spare room and for the time being a walk-in wardrobe / dressing room adjoined to the bedroom would be quite useful, (b) the bathroom would effectively be en suite. Also obviously option 2 makes the larger bedroom smaller by the corridor.

My thinking was that - as option 1 suits us more - in future a corridor can easily be installed to turn option 1 to option 2.

Anyway I guess my main concern is whether the 0.8 metre corridor is realistic, as well as whether option 1 is an option with fir-regulations etc.

Re the bathroom it would ideally be a bath (small one like 1500mm), toilet and sink but - if too small - then a shower room with toilet. Our current bathroom is downstairs and is 2.35m x 1.3m so not too dissimilar in size.

Sliding door idea is interesting, one to consider - thanks!

You'll have a few issues with Option 1 in terms of fire/escape regulations as escape would be through another bedroom. You could go with Option 2 but also introduce a door to the rear room so it's separate from the corridor. No need to leave it all open. You could add this door before the bathroom, therefore making it an en-suite (assuming there is another family bathroom) or after the bedroom, as you've shown on Option 1.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back