Bathroom into Living Room - regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the size of my bathroom, I'm wanting to knock down a cupboard to make the room much bigger.

See these drawings to understand what is happening and what I'm thinking. I live in Scotland.

Bathroomwallplans_1.jpg

Bathroomwallplans_2.jpg

To get to the bathroom, you go though 1 door, which leads to a doorway sized squared lobby. From there, you can get to a bedroom and into the bathroom. There is a cupboard behind the lobby door too.

I want to remove the cupboard behind the lobby door, block off the bedroom door and make the lobby door that actual bathroom door.

That would mean that the bathroom would actual open into the living room.

To make it more private, I was thinking of putting up a fake stud partition wall, so that people are not walking straight into the living room, but have to walk around the wall.

I'm not sure if we would need to put up a door on the stud partition instead of just an open walkway.

Due to the layout of the croft, this is my only bathroom in the house (4 bed), so requires to be larger!!!

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any other design ideas regarding the new partition in the living room?

I'm about to start in the bathroom, and will be building the partition very soon!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
how about a glass block wall?

that would alow light to difuse from the window oposite

I would also be tempted to move the partition and the doorway to the other side of the "hall".. that way you don't have a line of sight into the bathroom from the front door.. ... again with a glass block wall to let light in..

Thanks for reply!

I was thinking of a glass wall, but I don't want the bathroom to be seen by anyone from the living room either!

I also thought about extending the under that stairs cupboard in line with the office new doorway, then putting up a partition flush with the side of the stairs. That way there is a larger hallway and have room to put up another door of some sort (glass, etc).

Wow! Now that has gave me great ideas, just from the first link.

Oh, no! More design ideas to think about, which means longer to get it done, which means more moaning from the other half....!!!! :oops: :oops: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back