Bathroom junctions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK electrics genius's - I have another safety poser for you as my electrics on the job education continues.
I'm trying to do everything I do myself by the book rather than bodge so please advise.

I've taken a socket from the ring into the loft from the bathroom as there was a supply to the old cylinder cupboard there which we no longer need.

To run the wire to the loft, the most convenient way is to run cable from a bog standard 30A junction under the bathroom boards but as I was fitting it I remembered reading one of your comments about bathroom floor lights the other day and how they should be sealed units.

Am I allowed to put a bog standard junction under the bathroom floor or is this against reg's?
If it is - could I install a sealed junction - outdoor type - or do they make special bathroom junctions?

Sponsored Links
Don't think there's any reg about this one but you're thinking is good so use a water proof jb to about IP65 (ingress protection).

Sponsored Links
p_a_johnson said:

Dunno about the regs but I replaced a standard JB under a bathroom floor not that long ago. When I opened it the terminals were green and corroded so I guessed water had somehow got in? Ideally I would have liked to have run a new cable to do away with it altogether but it was not possible so I used a sealed JB. It would seem the sensible way for you to go to spend a little more and be sure.

HTH

while you can get glands for flat t&e cable i wouldn't trust the seal on them myself there is no way you can do a proper comression glanding to a flat cable

imo best option is a resin filled joint kit

you could always get
GWBX643.jpg
put junction box inside it, cable in throuh gromets and silcone round grommets

Don't wish to sound cocky, best way is no jbs under bath floor!!

They'd sold out of 2.5mm sealed units at B&Q!

... but as the Mrs has decided she wants some swanky lino firm (Amtico or something) to fit the new floor instead of boards I figure a normal JB will be OK if it's not against regs as no water will be getting anywhere near it through the flooring.

Just to be sure I've taped the junction box up and it's on a joist a full bay away from the bath.

Let me know if any of you have any horrifing concerns with this.

Thanks again for your advice

Presumably the Mrs won't mind her swanky lino being ripped up when necessary to meet the requirement that junction boxes should be accessible?

How did the supply previously get to the cylinder in the cupboard?

thats another good reason to use a resin encapsulated junction

they are exempt from the accessibility rule

i have amtico flooring and the only way you are going to get access to the j.b. if you fit one.Is through the ceiling below the bathroom if it is upstairs.if the bathroom room is downstairs then there is noway you will be able to have access to the jb.amtico fitters fit a sheet of plywood over the floorboards nailed down every 5-6 inches maybe even less.the amtico os then glued to this.and at the price of it you don't want to be damaging it later cos of a loose connection or other fault.

Cant use JB's unless they are accessible, for maintenance & inspection.....You also said that the immersion tank was supplied from the ringmain....are you 100% on this? or is the circuit protected by a 15A / 20A fuse/MCB.......no worries either way, just asking....

imersion heaters should not be on a ring though this is not a real danger just a noncomplinace with regs

if i had to join under a virtually irremoveable floorcovering i would definately go for the resin filled joint kit as there is an exemption for thsee from the accessibility rule and no water should ever manage to get into it
(the things are usually used for underground jointing of swa)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back