Bathroom leaking down to dining room every so often

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Every so often water comes down the ceiling into our dining room. Right above the dining room is our toilet. I was wondering what needs fixing. I haven’t been able to see what’s going on because it’s every so often so I never know when it comes next to inspect. It leaves a dirty outline where it leaks.

First it started at the area with the more rectangle mark by the curtains (above is the bath tub) now it’s started leaking in another spot where above is it the toilet.

Any advice please? Thank you

Attachments

• B66A7D93-EBDF-436B-8B98-90C6BF235C84.jpeg
    B66A7D93-EBDF-436B-8B98-90C6BF235C84.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2C6A786D-812E-438E-BB30-EDFCF095ED29.jpeg
    2C6A786D-812E-438E-BB30-EDFCF095ED29.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
If you can access where you think it's leaking from you could lay some talcum powder down. This will help you see where it's getting wet.

I had it with bath waste, the pipe was not quite long enough, but shared equal it sealed OK, but over time as it expanded and contracted it moved so no longer equal and leaked, new pipe cured problem, but leak so little took ages to find leak.

Sponsored Links
I had it with bath waste, the pipe was not quite long enough, but shared equal it sealed OK, but over time as it expanded and contracted it moved so no longer equal and leaked, new pipe cured problem, but leak so little took ages to find leak.

Same with ours, it’s just hard to find the leak!

Funny things leaks on ceilings. The actual leak can be a couple of metres or more from where its actually showing on the ceiling as it can travel along the plasterboard until it comes to a joint or a light fitting.

Annoyingly, sometimes you need to cut away some of the plaster so that you can see what is happening above. if the hole is pretty small you can replace the (removed) plasterboard quite easily. I would recommend 6" by 6". It will give you the opportunity to stick your phone in to record whatever is going on in the cavity.

Funny things leaks on ceilings. The actual leak can be a couple of metres or more from where its actually showing on the ceiling as it can travel along the plasterboard until it comes to a joint or a light fitting.
Apologies for the extremely late response. That could definitely be a possibility. We still weren’t able to figure it ourselves so we’ve had to call in a plumber, hopefully it will be resolved

Annoyingly, sometimes you need to cut away some of the plaster so that you can see what is happening above. if the hole is pretty small you can replace the (removed) plasterboard quite easily. I would recommend 6" by 6". It will give you the opportunity to stick your phone in to record whatever is going on in the cavity.

Apologies for the late response. We called in a plumber as we were still unsure, but our plasterboard is definitely getting replaced due to the stain. Thank you for your recommendation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back