Bathroom light pull wiring

gxw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking through various posts on this subject but can't quite find anyone who has my specific problem - combined with my specific lack of knowledge :)

I had a light pull in my bathroom which worked the light, and the fan. When I switched the light off the fan would work for a further 5 mins.

Now, my heavy handed sons have broken the light pull, and I bought a replacement.
I took the old one off noting that it had one flex running into it which had red, blue, yellow, and green/yellow wires connnected as follows:

Red to a terminal which was then linked by a short red wire to the terminal next to it! Yellow and blue wires to the other two terminals and green/yellow simply to earth.
The old switch used to have a little red light in it too, but I'm not bothered about that.

I bought a two-way light pull and fitted it with the red wire to COM, blue to 1-Way and yellow to 2-way terminals. Connected it all up and it seemed to work until I realised that the fan goes on when you switch the light off, and goes off 5 mins after turning it on! I swapped the blue and yellow wires over but the same problem is happening.

Question is, will I get this to work with a 2-way light pull, and if so - what do I need to do?

Otherwise, if I need, say, a Dual Pole switch, then what wires do I connect to what - as the wiring diags I have seen so far seem ot suggest that a DP switch has TWO cables to it - and mine only has one??

Any help would be appreciated as I think the light/fan will drive us bonkers as they are at the moment!

Thanks- and this is my first post so go easy on me!!

GXW

Sponsored Links
P.S. The cable that was connected to my light pull is a 3 Core and Earth wire (red,blue,yellow, and earth).

GXW

try putting red in com and BOTH yellow and blue in L1

Thanks plugwash - I'll give that a go. It's not a 2-way circuit so I shouldn't need the 2-way terminal - and if the other feed can be used for both the light and the fan then that should work.

I'll try that tomorrow - prefer to do it in daylight! :)

GXW

Sponsored Links
Just spotted this though in a similar thread!

ban-all-sheds said:
hil26 said:
Spur to be taken to pull switch which has
red - live
black - neutral
and an earth
Not unless it's a DP switch it doesn't - if you connect it like that be prepared for a b****y big bang when you first switch it on and short out live and neutral...

Are you sure connecting the blue and yellow wires to the same terminal won't have a similar effect to what hil26 was suggesting?

GXW

from your description of how the previous switch was and how the wiring behaved im pretty damn sure that the wiring arangement i propose isn't going to cause a bang.

and even if it does i've never heared of a short on a lighting cuircuit actually destroying anything.

gxw said:
Just spotted this though in a similar thread!

ban-all-sheds said:
hil26 said:
Spur to be taken to pull switch which has
red - live
black - neutral
and an earth
Not unless it's a DP switch it doesn't - if you connect it like that be prepared for a b****y big bang when you first switch it on and short out live and neutral...

Are you sure connecting the blue and yellow wires to the same terminal won't have a similar effect to what hil26 was suggesting?

GXW
I remember that - god that guy was a dork.

The bang I was predicting for him was because he planned to put a live and a neutral into the two terminals of an ordinary switch. What you've got is a permanent live coming in on the red core and switched live going out on the blue and yellow ones. Why it was done like that instead of just taking live, switched live and neutral to the fan from the ceiling rose or junction box I have no idea.

So somewhere else in the bathroom is the source of the permanent live and the neutral for the fan.

Is there a fan isolation switch?

I put the Yellow and Blue wires into the terminal marked 1-Way and it works a treat!

Thanks guys.

FYI, Ban-all-sheds, yes there is a separate Fan isolator switch.

GXW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back