Bathroom light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just moving into a new house and the bathroom (just been re-fitted in the last month) has what appears to be a standard chrome light switch on the wall in the bathroom. It's on the wall opposite the bath about 80cm away so I assume in Zone 3.
Is a standard light switch safe there? if not are there any options that don't involve pulling the tiles off the wall to re-wire to get a standard pull cord on the ceiling??

Thanks..
Chris. :?:

Sponsored Links
I have a similar situation in my old house where a bedroom was transformed into a bathroom. I have done nothing about it because there is no way that anyone can be in contact with the plumbing system while operating the light switch. I believe this is the principle behind the reason for pull cord switches.

Is the general damp / steam environment in the bathroom a potential issue though rather than actually being attached to both plumbing and switch at the same time?
Afraid I know nothing much about electrics, but there does seem to be general suggestion that either a switch should be fitted outside the bathroom or a cord..

Sponsored Links
As theres a 99% chance the cable for your lightswitch goes UP into the roofspace, its pretty easy to rewire for a pullswitch. Cut the wire in the ceiling, and fit a pullswitch. Fit a blank on the wall to indicate the presence of a cable (and if you have no spare tiles!). If you can, pull the wire up into the loft - it may be in trunking or conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back