Bathroom wall light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a switch seperate to the main ceiling lights for some wall lights around a bathroom mirror. Is there any sort of wall switch that could be used instead of another pull cord?

Sponsored Links
Anything suitable for the Zone it will be in.

Which is......?

Also, where in the UK do you live?

I don't touch any switches with wet hands.
You may forget that one day. In an emergency you may have to touch it with a wet hand.
(contrary to what people believe about plastic switches being safer with moisture, plastic isn't earthed so it wouldn't trip an RCD)
And it would not provide the second point of contact ( to earth) necessary for electric shock either for someone in contact ( direct or indirect ) with a live conductor. So onthat count having an earthed metal switch increases the hazard when a fault has occured elsewhere in the room

I don't care about regulations, its nonsense,
They do sometimes appear to contradict common sense when considering a situation involving a single fault. The reason is the regulations have to also cover situations where two or more faults have occured at the same time. Something that the average house owner will never consider.

when I did by bathroom, I just insisted on a regular 2 gang chrome lightswitch on the wall, I don't care about regulations, its nonsense, and the electrician went ahead and did it
Then you are an idiot, and your electrician was criminally delinquent to bow to your inane "insistence".

I really, really, hope that someone suffers as a result of your stupidity - ideally you, but I'll settle for someone you care about. I wouldn't want to see anyone harmed, but I would be delighted if someone got a real scare to give you the metaphorical smack in the face you need to make you realise what a callous **** you have been.

Sponsored Links
when I did by bathroom, I just insisted on a regular 2 gang chrome lightswitch on the wall, I don't care about regulations, its nonsense, and the electrician went ahead and did it (it's quite big and the switch is out of reach of the bath/shower although it's still in the incorrect zone. There is NO DIFFERENCE between having the switch on the outside of the door or the inside, no matter how many people tell you it's not allowed. I don't touch any switches with wet hands. And pull cords are horrible. My parents' house has a 3 gang switch in the bathroom too, and its completely fine. Better yet, if the switch is a metal plate and is earthed, the slightest bit of water that got in it would trip the RCD instantly anyway (contrary to what people believe about plastic switches being safer with moisture, plastic isn't earthed so it wouldn't trip an RCD)

you're not all there mate..... :D

We live in an incompetent country.
And you've gone native.

what I mean, is that there are so many things which are actually a danger which are completely missed by inspections, neglected by building control e.t.c. yet people are paranoid about simple things which deviate from the norm, which in actual fact pose no practical danger at all. For example, in my parents' house, a council-backed scheme sent 'certified loft installation' installers in free of charge to insulate the loft. The installers had no idea that is was a bad idea to stuff insulation over 60watt recessed lights or over an electric shower cable or over crawl boards. Guess what, one of the lights has overheated and melted the holder a bit, meaning when replacing the bulb, they discovered they couldn't screw the new one in properly. Wasn't till I discovered what the loft insulation guys had done that I fixed it. Another big example, is one of the main causes of electrical fires is tumble dryers. There are no government guidance notes on installing ducting, or cleaning ducts, causing many lint fires in pvc flexible ducting, which should be aluminium. They are also plugged into extension leads or 13a double sockets with other appliances which causes the plug to overheat and melt in the socket causing fire before the mcb trips from the shorted flex.

what I mean, is that there are so many things which are actually a danger which are completely missed by inspections, neglected by building control e.t.c.
And in what way, exactly, does that mean that it's OK for you to dismiss safety regulations as nonsense and insist on doing something unsafe?

For example, in my parents' house, a council-backed scheme sent 'certified loft installation' installers in free of charge to insulate the loft. The installers had no idea that is was a bad idea to stuff insulation over 60watt recessed lights or over an electric shower cable or over crawl boards.
And in what way, exactly, does that mean that it's OK for you to dismiss safety regulations as nonsense and insist on doing something unsafe?

Another big example, is one of the main causes of electrical fires is tumble dryers. There are no government guidance notes on installing ducting, or cleaning ducts, causing many lint fires in pvc flexible ducting, which should be aluminium.

They are also plugged into extension leads or 13a double sockets with other appliances which causes the plug to overheat and melt in the socket causing fire before the mcb trips from the shorted flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back