Bathroom wall pull cord switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Do you know of any bathroom wall pull cord switches that could be used with a set of standard UK wall lights? - like this:

Perhaps a ceiling pull cord that would work ok wall mounted?

We're planning on using those lights either side of a mirror and having a pull switch hidden behind the mirror. The mirror will be built out by a wooden frame (50 - 80mm) so the switch could be mounted to the wall or the frame.

I found this on the Ryness site although it looks lightweight and perhaps not designed for use in a bathroom?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
It's probably not suitable for a bathroom, and 50-80mm is not enough space for a normal pull-switch.

Have you considered one of these?

Also, I take it you are aware of your legal responsibilities concerning notification of this work, and the regulations concerning RCD protection?

Pull cords are designed to vertical, so you can't fix one on the wall.

Why is there a problem with mounting the pull cord on the ceiling and having a pull cord near the mirror ? You could always use a couple of eyelet type screws to train the cord to stay near the wall.

Another alternative would be a PIR / movement detector that turns on due to movement and goes off on over run, say 3 minutes after no detected movement

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMSLFM360.html

It's probably not suitable for a bathroom, and 50-80mm is not enough space for a normal pull-switch.

Doesn't have to be that close to the wall, we could bring it out further to fit a full size pull switch (facing downwards) back there but seems like over kill.

I take it there's no Architrave Switch equivalent for pull switches that you know of?

The sensor switches are different. Kind of odd in that you have to have a area on the mirror, a marked tile or blank light switch to use these. Will look into them more, cheers.

I take it you are aware of your legal responsibilities concerning notification of this work, and the regulations concerning RCD protection?

Yep, getting a qualified sparks in to fit and certificate and a BCO to check.

Why is there a problem with mounting the pull cord on the ceiling and having a pull cord near the mirror ?

We'll have a normal ceiling pull switch by the door, for the ceiling spot lights, don't really want to have another one 4 ft away beside the mirror too.

What about using a EcoSwitch PIR Light Switch or this narrower version in a bathroom ? - could build the mirror frame out to 90cm to fit one of those on the side.

Of course it would be a lot easier to buy a mirror with built in lights, may have to go for that option if we can't find a hidden switch that goes with those lights.

Sponsored Links
Speaking with Castelco, they claim these mini pull switches:

are rated for use in bathroom's, ie. mounted behind a mirror.

Just need to convince my electrician and building control officer now ;)

Doesn't have to be that close to the wall, we could bring it out further to fit a full size pull switch (facing downwards) back there but seems like over kill.
And it would look daft.

I take it there's no Architrave Switch equivalent for pull switches that you know of?
Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Yep, getting a qualified sparks in to fit and certificate and a BCO to check.
It's be cheaper to use a registered electrician and not pay the LABC fee.

Of course it would be a lot easier to buy a mirror with built in lights, may have to go for that option if we can't find a hidden switch that goes with those lights.
If you've not bought the mirror yet - http://www.heatedmirrors.co.uk/switches/

Just need to convince my electrician and building control officer now ;)
Be aware that style of switch is designed to be mounted through an enclosure. The backs of them have live parts exposed which must be protected by the enclosure.

It's be cheaper to use a registered electrician and not pay the LABC fee.

I've got to get a BCO in anyway as we're taking down a diagonal chimney breast in the same room. Got the supporting drawings with load calculations, just need the electrical quote now.

Be aware that style of switch is designed to be mounted through an enclosure. The backs of them have live parts exposed which must be protected by the enclosure.

Do you know of any enclosures that would be appropriate for that size switch plugwash?

Thanks.

Just posting a follow up on this.

The small pull switches I posted above are fine for use in a bathroom (zone 3), you can use a short length of electrical conduit that has a snap removable top as the enclosure, drill a hole large enough to allow the bottom of the switch to drop thru and once the wires are connected fill either end of the conduit with silicon.

that dosn;t sound like an encloursure fit for purpose to me.

Depends on the quality of the electrical conduit. The example a UK bathroom mirror supplier sent me was designed like this, they use it on their mirrors.

The one we're using is fixed to the inside of a 2x2 wooden frame that's securely fixed to the wall so the only problem we should have is when the switch wears out.

I've got to say it was a pain in the a** finding a simple solution to this. Why doesn't a manufacturer supply an all in one solution... anyways, rant over. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back