bathroom light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my bathroom ceiling replastered and the light pull cord and shower isolator pull cord have both been removed to do this. Unfortunately where the plasterer has gone over the ceiling the fixing holes are now covered. Bit of a stupid question Im sure but can i just screw the boxes back to the ceiling or do I need to drill and plug first as I dont know the location of the joists to fix into them.

Sponsored Links
You really do need to fix to something solid, especially the shower switch. I presume the cables are now in the loft space? so why not go up and locate the cables and the joists at the same time, then you can make the hole for the cables alongside the joists.

thanks for that. Thought that may be the answer but unfortunately the shower is at ground floor and we have a bedroom above so cant readily access the cables within the floor zone. Don't help matters that the guy who took them both down has lost the fixings and is reluctant to come back and put it all back together for me hence Im looking to try and do myself. May try and put my fingers through the holes and try and locate the joists.

Sponsored Links
If you know roughly where the switches were in the first place you could use a thin bradawl to locate the joist then open out to pull cables through. DO NOT use a drill as you are likely to damage the cable.

Back