Bathroom light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my bathroom light fitting and now my light wont turn off. I have a pull chord switch. I replaced the pull chord switch but the light just stays on. any ideas?
thanks
Micky64

Sponsored Links
WHy did you change switch as well! Didnt the fact that it doesnt work now give you a clue that you have miswired the new light?

Post a photo of the wiring you have done at the light. you have probably fallen into the common DIY trap of not noting the wiring before you disconnected things and/or not looking at the useful WIKI for advice first. //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Common-problems

thanks for reply. I only replaced the switch because I couldn't think of anything else. if I had wired up the light wrong, it wouldn't have worked. I have a light that wont go off, or have I missed something.
ta

if I had wired up the light wrong, it wouldn't have worked.
ta

It is quite possible to wire up a light wrongly, and for it to light up, but not switch off.

I imagine there were several wires at the light?

If you can send photos, great.

If you can't, a detailed description of how the light is wired will help.

Sponsored Links
We need to know what cables/conductors you have at both light fitting and switch.
Did the the light switch on/off prior to switch replacement? or did replace both fitting and switch at same time, therefore the fault could be at either and/or both fitting and switch.

It sounds very much like you have looped in the permanent live, to the switch live side of the light fitting.
At the light fitting you will have perm live conductors, neutrals, switch line and earths. The neutral conductors always go to the neutral terminal, but be aware that colour cores that a black/blue do not always represent a neutral conductor. As some are switch line and ideally should be identified as these by sleeving or marking as a line conductor.

The confusion is with the loop in system, having a live permanent loop and a switch line.
A lot of manufacturers do not offer a spare way/loop terminal at the fitting, and as a DIYer this will often lead you to believing all live/line conductors are connected to the live terminal of the fitting, which it should not as this will not allow you to have a switch function and thus the lamp will be permanently energised.
So you need to manufacture a separate connection via a terminal connector, to create the loop in configuration, this will contain the permanent live conductors (in and outs, could be more than one of these)
The conductor that goes to common of your switch (often red/brown).
There will then be left over a switch line (depending on colour cores, this could be commonly red, brown, black, blue, but should be ID as the switch line by marking) and this is the conductor that goes to the live side of the fitting. if you have now mixed this up, the best and safe method to identify the cores would be by safely testing them rather than randomly swapping them about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back